0,39" BSA pistol cartridge (drawing)

If you want a higher resolution scan just drop me a line.

Peter

I’ve not seen another pistol cartridge having a belted head (as the drawing suggests). Are there any? I can’t see any reason for a belt in this application.

From which year is this drawing ?
thanks
jP

All three of the proposed BSA pistol cartridges used belted cases.

JP- these drawings are from 1920 after Eley became part of Explosive Trades Ltd.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“TonyE”]JP- these drawings are from 1920 after Eley became part of Explosive Trades Ltd.

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

hello,
how do you know that ?
thee is no date on the drawing ?
What is the date excatly ?

thanks
JP

JP,Check the drawings of the .34 BSA and the 28 BSA posted below. At the bottom they are dated 1920. If there was an equivalent date on the .39 drawing it has been cropped off the image. The three drawing appear to be a set, all produced at the same time.

Cheers,

Lew

I know this is the date for a number of reasons:

• These rounds were proposed by the new Explosive Trades Ltd in 1920.
  • This drawing is No.730. If you look at the previous drawing posted of the .34 BSA you will see that it is numbered immediately prior to this as No.729 and at the very bottom of the page is a small signature and the date of 1.9.20.
  • Finally, I have two original books of drawings from the Eley Proof Department and included is a copy of drawing No.734 which is dated 8.9.20.

Therefore it was drawn between the 1st September 1920 and the 8th September. (Probably on the 1st about 10.30 just after the draughtsman had had his tea and bacon butty!)

Regards
TonyE

Edit: Lew, you beat me to it whilst I was typing!

hello Tony
I am asking the date because I have some Eley shotshells drawings.
Unfortanutely the Xeros copies are in such bad condition it is not possible to see the year.
Here are the Eley drawings I have :

1. if you don’t have them, could you please give me an accurate date for each of them
  2. if you have them I would be interested by high resolution scans
  3. I you have other Eley drawings showing shotshells I would be of course interested.
    I am sure I can find you something intersting you as trade.

thanks

JP