1,1'' (28 mm) AA US Navy

I’m looking information and pics about US Navy 1,1’’ (28 mm) AA and ammo. They used it at Caldwell class DD since 1917. Single version not x4.

navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_1-1-75_mk1.htm

Ammo (28x199SR) from the Ammunition Photo Gallery on my website:

Where have you seen this information ?

It’s about x4, I need x1

[quote=“Tony Williams”]Ammo (28x199SR) from the Ammunition Photo Gallery on my website:

[/quote]
I wonder did they use the same ammo for single 28 mm AA in 1918 and for x4 Mk1 later?

Where have you seen this information ?[/quote]

Craven , a Caldwell-class destroyer, was launched 29 June 1918

This is typical of the errors which are commonly found on Wikipedia. The site can be posted by anyone and much of what is posted is not accurate. This is the official homepage for the DD70; destroyerhistory.org/flushde … index.html

The one pounder is a 37mm gun. The 1.1 inch was not developed until the 1930s.

Neither the offical history of the DD70 on the US Navy site nor the home page for the DD70 repeats this error.

The one pounder was a common naval light gun from the late 1800s and into WW1. There are many 1 pounders currently in use worldwide as saluting guns on US Navy yards and some ships.

Many folks posting on Wikipedia think that they know what they post but are repeating errors which they have seen elsewhere.

The DD70 did not have a 1.1" gun during the early years. It did have at least 2 37mm (one pounders). The armament varied over its long life. It may have had 1.1" guns mounted during the 30’s- not clear. It was refitted a couple of times .The 1.1 inch was only mounted in quad mounts during this period.

Thanks. That wrong information was the only one I met about single navy cannon around 30 mm. With mount for AA sight.

The navies of the world were really not too concerned about aircraft. They did not believe that the airplane or airship was a viable threat to warships. So they really did not arm for AA fire in more than a perfunctory way.

Years after the war US Brig. General William L.(Billy) Mitchell continued to insist that the airplane was the serious threat to capital ships and proved it by sinking the captured German battleship " Ostfriesland " by use of flimsy biplanes with high explosive bombs.

He continued to be a source of irritation to the military status quo and was broken in rank and then put out of service for 5 years. For more detail:

scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/VA-Pi … 310031.htm

The real threat to the capital ships was considered the fast torpedo boats and the “DESTROYER” was originall built as “TORPEDO BOAT DESTROYERS”( thus the name)which could move fast and fire at long enough ranges to destroy incoming torpedo boats before they got to the battleships.

It took another decade for the navies of the world to get serious about the air threat. The 1.1" HUDSON gun - also known as the Chicago organ was the first serious attempt at AA fire from US surface ships.

The 5 inch dual purpose guns were co-opted into AA use when high altitude attacks became practical.

The 3inch 50 , 5 inch dual purpose , 1.1 inch and 40mm Bofors were responsible for the destruction of most of the WW2 era Japanese aircraft attacking US Navy surface ships. The 20mm and .50cals also did their part but in lesser amount. When an aircraft got within their range it literally had to be shot to pieces to keep it from the attack. Capital ships had scores of these smaller guns side by side firing thousands of rounds per minute at anything which got into range.

Just increadible information, CSA! WOW!

I cannot place pic here. Try to see it at Russian site:
talks.guns.ru/forummessage/42/225123-0.html

Thanks!
Although I can’t read any of the text, I was able to figure out that you have to click on the 1st link shown on that page. This takes you to some photos and diagram jpegs. That 37mm gun is so small :-)

Jason

It’s a up to 30 mm gun on that pic. Not 37 mm! The rustic burrel inside around 30 mm. I thought it could be 28 mm AA gun, but cannot to find any information.

Woops, my mistake :=) Still very interesting.

I am unaware of any automatic weapons of around 30mm calibre which existed in the WW1 timeframe. There were several 37mm, and a couple of 20mm, but nothing else saw service that I’ve ever heard of.

Well there is a 30mm Becker, 25mm Revelli, 28mm Farman …

We talk about this gun ?

Yes, this one. Thanks for help.
They told me it’s Oerlikon 20 mm gun. Probably German version. It was 30 mm barrel inside I check it myself. So solt water eated part of the metal. They obviously found this gun at the sea bottom.

Of course, stupid of me to forget the 25mm Vickers and Revelli guns - I’ve even written about those, must be getting senile (mutter, mutter, dribble…).

I recall seeing a drawing of a Becker-like 30mm cartridge, but I’ve never seen any mention of the gun - it certainly didn’t get to service status. Same for the 28mm Farman. Do you have details of these?

Hello Tony,

no sorry - I ve heard about it. A belgian collector told me about the gun but

it is not so interesting for me.

There is a 33mm Farman ( an 37 x 94 version ? ) and a 28mm

Farman. Absolutely no trace about the case.

Here is a 28mm projectile

Best