1.65" Hotchkiss rounds

I’d like to talk to the participants in this discussion

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?p=19249&sid=c5d3a0cf150224a745040e4e1ad4a1f7#p19249

I’m particularly interested in the late UMC and FA rounds/casings.

Anybody around from then?

incitatus–I am the one that posted the pages from the 1905 UMC catalog. What do you want to know?

I have several different ammo types- HE (inert); Canister- two types, and in WRA, UMC and FA cases, single draw brass or 3 piece riveted construction.
And, two friends who own the guns!

Will try to answer questions, but I really don’t know much about these.

Hi guys and thanks for responding so quickly.

I am putting together a site specifically on the Hotchkiss gun and thigs related to it. I, too, own one and have a growing collection of ammunition for it. I got interested because you would think that the history around this relatively recent weapon would be pretty clear. The fact is that it is anything but. For example, there are references to a hardened steel shell (pointed to distinguish it from the flat nosed chilled iron shell – or the other way around). Have you ever seen one? Were there any other cannon that used the 1.65" round? Was it bought anywhere but the US?

Lots of questions but the ones that are relevant to the thread are the latest dates that can be docuemnted for ammunition manufacture. I could use help there, that and the dates of the various commercial contracts. FA began in 1880 and went on, evidentially until after 1900. Thats one I’d like to nail down.

The site is here

http://www.hotchkissmountaingun.com

I began it two days ago so it is growing realtime. I am going to the Grayling shoot this weekend and am hoping to gather info and pictures of the critters shooting.

Cheers

Ed

Updated with some info on fuses.

I didn’t see this one on your site. It is all chrome plated. Diameter is approx. 1.5 inch., can’t find my caliper!

Ed,
Here’s the link to an early friction primer fired wrapped brass Hotchkiss 1.65" case:
oldammo.com/november09.htm

Once there, look down at the bottom of the page.

[quote=“jonnyc”]I didn’t see this one on your site. It is all chrome plated. Diameter is approx. 1.5 inch., can’t find my caliper!
[/quote]

Interesting. It says 1918 on the base and I am pretty sure that the 1.65" rounds were not made that late. Can you tell me what it says on the base? It is a bit hard to read the writing.

Thanks

Ed

[quote=“GuyHildebrand”]Ed,
Here’s the link to an early friction primer fired wrapped brass Hotchkiss 1.65" case:
oldammo.com/november09.htm

Once there, look down at the bottom of the page.[/quote]

Thanks, I caught this some time ago. The guy did a very nice job.

Ed