1 inch Aiming Rifle (naval artillery subcalibre) projectile

Below is 1 inch Aiming rifle projectile. This was originally mis-identified on my part as a 1" Nordenfeldt anti torpedo boat gun projectile. Thanks to Tony Williams for correctly identifying it below.

These were used for subcalibre practise from barrels inserted into the barrels of large guns on Royal Navy ships. They were obsolete by the early 20th Century.

I bought two of these for

Does anyone have any photos of any complete rounds?

What you have is not strictly a Nordenfelt projectile: it is for the “Cartridge Aiming Rifle 1 inch”, which used the Nordenfelt case but with an electric primer, and was used for subcalibre training.

The proper Nordenfelt projectile was a jacketed steel item with the core protruding from the jacket, not a hard lead one like yours. There is a pic of the 25x94R Nordenfelt round below (from the Ammunition Photo Gallery on my website):

Thanks, I actually said to the seller “isn’t that a 1 inch aiming rifle projectile”, and he told me it was an “anti torpedo boat gun projectile”. I have two of these, the other is currrently being soaked in vinegar to remove the calcium carbonate (limestone for anyone who doesn’t know) shells of small water creatures of some kind.

Tony–While I agree with you, given the profile and the 3 cannelures on this bullet, that it is a 1 inch Aiming Tube, I have to disagree that the Nordenfelt did not have a lead bullet. Granted the brass covered steel projectile is far more common. Below is a page from “The History and Development of Small arms Ammunition” Vol. 2, by George Hoyem showing a lead bullet Nordenfelt

I sit corrected :)

Here’s the complete Kynoch 1" aiming rifle cartridge with the pointed solid lead projectile like Falcons. This one also spent a considerable amount of time in the water.

Here are the two Nordenfeldt cartridges, one with a brass and steel projectile and the other with a lead porojectile, which doesn’t have the sharp point seen on the 1" aiming rifle cartridge.

The cases for all three are essentially the same, and are 3 3/4" long.

Nice rounds Guy. The primer on the 1" Aiming rifle round looks like percussion, I was understanding that it was electric. The fired aiming rifle projectile shows an odd 11 groove rifling pattern. Where was the 1" round found and how old is it? What sort of price do they fetch over there? I want an inert round now I have a fired projectile.

Both electric and percussion primed versions were made. Look at the cover of IAA Journal Issue 452 Nov/Dec 2006 for a photo of some packing labels. I don’t know why both were used, perhaps someone else does.

I would do, but I am not (yet) a member.

Than you should join!

Here is a scan of the cover: “Crate and packing lables from Dominion Arsenal, Quebec for 1-inch Aiming Rifle. Courtesy of Paul Smith”

Thanks. What I am now wondering is how to clean the other one of those projectiles I have. It has a layer of whitish brown corrosion from being in water. Vinegar removed the water creature shells, and I tried sanding off the loosened corrosion, but that produces extremely fine lead dust, which is not ideal.

Falcon,
My 1" aiming round was purchased with a group of cartridges, including one other 1" that had about half the bullet corroded away. I was unable to determine where they were found.

It appears mine is a Mk 1; I see the labels are for Mk II and MK III. Does anyone know what the differences are between these? It doesn’t appear to have to do with the primers, as the labels show both electric and percussion MK III.

The one or the other may be interested in some info from primary sources (note the different electric primers):

Just found:
The 1909 edition of the “Textbook on Ammunition” is also showing a paper patched projectile with electric primer. Cartridge designation is “Mk V”.