1" Nordenfelt

I was very lucky today to be shown a collection of Nordenfelt cartridges and projectiles, a couple of which are clearly quite rare. Sadly, I did not have a good camera with me or much time to examine them, but will share the pictures all the same. The headstamps run in sequence from left to right.

Best

Ian

Got a new round that needs identification

Ian, remarkable items and seldom seen (some never before I guess). Thank you for sharing!

Oh yeah, really VERY, VERY neat stuff, but aren’t they 1" aiming rifle?

Supposedly anti torpedo boat rounds for naval usage, armor piercing.

joe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-inch_Nordenfelt_gun

Great stuff - read a fair amount about this gun - nice to see pics - I think they’re very good pictures.

Anyone have information on the “chisel point” projectile in the middle cartridge of picture #1 and the last 2 pictures?

Very interesting collection!

Brian

[quote=“xjda68”]Supposedly anti torpedo boat rounds for naval usage, armor piercing.

joe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-inch_Nordenfelt_gun[/quote]

Joe, the aiming rifles used lead projectiles and had threaded electric primers if my memory isn’t all gone.

Quoting Tony Edwards from his comments in a thread on BOCN concerning the 1 inch Nordenfelt ( bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 … Nordenfelt? )

“…the 1 inch Aiming Rifle which used the same case as the Nordenfelt but had a lead projectile and was usually electrically fired in Naval service. The army used both electrically fired (coast guns) and percussion fired versions.”

Looks like I had it backwards.

Great stuff, & not often seen! Thanks for posting it.

And this is the hand-cranked four-barrel Nordenfelt 1 inch naval gun, from http://www.cerberus.com.au/armament.html

Ian, great pictures, thanks a lot for sharing. The spiral, shortened envelope, and copper-coated loadings are rare, and also the bullet with a screw-secured base. Very interesting.

[quote]Quoting Tony Edwards from his comments in a thread on BOCN concerning the 1 inch Nordenfelt ( bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 … Nordenfelt? )

“…the 1 inch Aiming Rifle which used the same case as the Nordenfelt but had a lead projectile and was usually electrically fired in Naval service. The army used both electrically fired (coast guns) and percussion fired versions.”[/quote]
There is also a rare and undocumented Mark VE loading that exist with both percussion or electric primer.