1" Nordenfelt

I was very lucky today to be shown a collection of Nordenfelt cartridges and projectiles, a couple of which are clearly quite rare. Sadly, I did not have a good camera with me or much time to examine them, but will share the pictures all the same. The headstamps run in sequence from left to right.

Best

Ian

Ian, remarkable items and seldom seen (some never before I guess). Thank you for sharing!

Oh yeah, really VERY, VERY neat stuff, but aren’t they 1" aiming rifle?

Supposedly anti torpedo boat rounds for naval usage, armor piercing.

joe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-inch_Nordenfelt_gun

Great stuff - read a fair amount about this gun - nice to see pics - I think they’re very good pictures.

Anyone have information on the “chisel point” projectile in the middle cartridge of picture #1 and the last 2 pictures?

Very interesting collection!

Brian

[quote=“xjda68”]Supposedly anti torpedo boat rounds for naval usage, armor piercing.

joe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1-inch_Nordenfelt_gun[/quote]

Joe, the aiming rifles used lead projectiles and had threaded electric primers if my memory isn’t all gone.

Quoting Tony Edwards from his comments in a thread on BOCN concerning the 1 inch Nordenfelt ( bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 … Nordenfelt? )

“…the 1 inch Aiming Rifle which used the same case as the Nordenfelt but had a lead projectile and was usually electrically fired in Naval service. The army used both electrically fired (coast guns) and percussion fired versions.”

Looks like I had it backwards.

Great stuff, & not often seen! Thanks for posting it.

And this is the hand-cranked four-barrel Nordenfelt 1 inch naval gun, from http://www.cerberus.com.au/armament.html

Ian, great pictures, thanks a lot for sharing. The spiral, shortened envelope, and copper-coated loadings are rare, and also the bullet with a screw-secured base. Very interesting.

[quote]Quoting Tony Edwards from his comments in a thread on BOCN concerning the 1 inch Nordenfelt ( bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/8 … Nordenfelt? )

“…the 1 inch Aiming Rifle which used the same case as the Nordenfelt but had a lead projectile and was usually electrically fired in Naval service. The army used both electrically fired (coast guns) and percussion fired versions.”[/quote]
There is also a rare and undocumented Mark VE loading that exist with both percussion or electric primer.