10.35 (10.4) Italian Vetterli

Wasn’t able to get a good shot of the headstamps; GD C-90

One of the two clips has a few spots on the wood that look much fresher than I would expect to see on something of this age. Not sure if the wood is a new or not, but when looking at the paint and other staining it seems to match well with the other clip which has wood that appears much older. Got these as a byproduct in a large trade, didn’t even know there were there till I began sorting the stuff several months later.

Interesting to see the ‘arrow’ painted on each clip, I imagine many an ill trained conscript struggling while trying to figure which direction the ‘pointy’ end of the bullet should point (rolleyes).

Sorry about the picture quality.

Nice clips !
They are not common even in Italy

Made by “pirotecnico di Capua” in 1890 . GC are the initial letters of the government inspector

[quote=“squib”]

Wasn’t able to get a good shot of the headstamps; GD C-90

One of the two clips has a few spots on the wood that look much fresher than I would expect to see on something of this age. Not sure if the wood is a new or not, but when looking at the paint and other staining it seems to match well with the other clip which has wood that appears much older. Got these as a byproduct in a large trade, didn’t even know there were there till I began sorting the stuff several months later.

Interesting to see the ‘arrow’ painted on each clip, I imagine many an ill trained conscript struggling while trying to figure which direction the ‘pointy’ end of the bullet should point (rolleyes).

Sorry about the picture quality.[/quote]

Those clips and cartridges look completely original, a good find. The Netherlands also used this system and their clips have a red spot at the front end instead of the arrow. I have seen cartons of empty Italian clips so they may have been supplied to troops in this way. The arrow/spot then shows the soldier which way around to put the first cartridge.

It is possible that only the wooden top of each clip is visible when the clips are carried in a bandolier or whatever they used to carry the ammunition on their equipment, in which case the arrow/spot indicates which way to grasp the clip when transferring it to the rifle. Picking it up the wrong way would result in a bit of juggling to flip it around, not good in a real shoot.

Now compare this loading system with the first post on “The oddest machine gun feed system”.

gravelbelly

These cartridges were used in the spanish civil war (1936-39), but not the clips, as all the rifles in this caliber were single-shot. They called them the “Brescias” surely because of the manufacturer’s name.
The ammo dates were in the range 1890’s-1910’s. It was mainly military but some civilian headstamps can be found, for instance:

G.FIOCCHI-LECCO ·1915·

S M I 1916

Who knows where these guns and ammo came from…

I have a metal box for 3 of those M1871/88 clips

[quote=“gravelbelly”]
Those clips and cartridges look completely original, a good find. The Netherlands also used this system and their clips have a red spot at the front end instead of the arrow. I have seen cartons of empty Italian clips so they may have been supplied to troops in this way. The arrow/spot then shows the soldier which way around to put the first cartridge.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Well, well. I’ve oft-times wondered how the Dutch version differed from the Italian. I’ve had a few of these, including one bought from the Netherlands, but they’ve all had a white top with a black arrow. If anyone has a spare (hint, hint) Dutch one there’s a good home awaiting.

Here’s my Italian one:

Happy collecting, Peter

[quote=“enfield56”]
Well, well. I’ve oft-times wondered how the Dutch version differed from the Italian. I’ve had a few of these, including one bought from the Netherlands, but they’ve all had a white top with a black arrow. If anyone has a spare (hint, hint) Dutch one there’s a good home awaiting.

Happy collecting, Peter[/quote]

Sorry Peter, I don’t have a “red spot” one myself and only one cartridge for my Italian one. So, you won’t get a spare in your Christmas stocking this year.

gravelbelly

if you can be useful for your searches

[color=#0000BF]http://www.worldwar.it/sito/munizioni/italiane/104-x-47r-vetterli[/color]

Giovanni