10,35х47R Vetterli-Vitali Metraglia M1870

Just finished cutaway of Italian 10,35х47R Vetterli-Vitali Metraglia M1870 cartridge. Here is a result. Hope this could be interesting

Great work and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, Fede

Very nice pictures! Excuse me for the ignorance, but I want to ask what kind of cartridge is that? What about bullet material?

Cheers!

Ivo

It is a guard load, bullet is made up of several pieces of lead that separate after firing, such as a shot load

[quote=“Iv4o”]Very nice pictures! Excuse me for the ignorance, but I want to ask what kind of cartridge is that? What about bullet material?

Cheers!

Ivo[/quote]

Hi!

The whole bullet consist of 1 upper bullet made of lead (Makarow bullet shape) + 3 lead disks (each divided in 3 sectors) = totally 10 bullets

As you can see at the pictures, lower disks is wrapped in paper

Under the such bulllet loaded the felted wad and black powder

Regads,
Dmitry

Did you use the real black powder or a non-flammable substitute in your sectioned round?

Of course, real black powder from the sectioned cartridge

I was just wondering this. I have sectioned a few cartridges recently, and I have used inert replica propellant that I made. They were British .303 rounds, so I made cordite by cutting spaghetti strands into short pieces.

Yes, I know that some collectors used replica propellant for cutaways. I think it’s a good idea to use inert materials. But in some cases it’s too difficult to find exact substitution for powders, for example: Russian tubular VT (looks like Du Pont IMR16 or 17), German powders Nz. T.P. (1,4x2x0,5/0,25) or Nz.Pl.Patr.R.P. (1,5x1,5x0,7), etc.

Though for my sectioned specimens I use only original components.