10.4x47mmR Vitterli box

The box is un-open. Would this contain 10.4x47mmR Vitterli ammo? Any idea about the headstamp?

2 Likes

Late production M1870 (10.4x47R) Vetterli Cartridges.
Packet marked Mo.70/87 so possibly packed in the Vitali clip…looks like two clip pack.

The Made in Italy overstamp would indicate this packet is ex Spain, ( Interarms) from SCW…ex Italian supply to Imperial Russian gov’t 1916, sent by Stalin to Spain 1936-37.
A well travelled packet. Also the first packet I have seen.
The later production Mo.70/87 cartridges had a brassy jacketed lead core bullet and smokeless powder (?Italian Ballistite?). Primer pocket was a Boxer type.
Headstamp C 91 xy (inspector’s initials)
DG Direzione Generale…but could also be the inspector’s initials.

Collectible and uncommon. Leave sealed.
Doc AV
PS I have a VV 70/87 rifle with Made in Italy Mark’s…1960s Interarms from Spain.

2 Likes

Doc,
Molte grazie for confirming my suspicion. For readers not accustomed to acronyms, SCW = Spanish Civil War. About 10 years ago I was privileged to be at SLICS at a lecture covering this very subject. It was outstanding. Wish I could remember the presentor’s name.

http://www.munizioni.eu/italiane2/13-italiane/206-le-10-4-x-47r-vetterli.html

1 Like

Vlad, very interesting box. These are very similar boxes to the ‘UVF contract’ 10.4mm Vetterli boxes that were bought in 1913 and supplied in 1914, therefore around about the same time period for the initial supply to Russia. The only markings on the UVF contract boxes is ‘Mo 1870e Mo 70/87’. The wrapping paper looks the same colour, and it has the cotton pull tab around the edges. The UVF boxes contain eight unheadstamped individual rounds ‘nose to tail’, Pete.

Image of eight round UVF contract 10.4mm Vetterli packet

1 Like