10.4x47R "G.D C-90"

I already know that G.D is an unknown capotecnico from Fede’s list. But why are some names known and some are not? Did not the names come from some Italian archives, where everything would be recorded? Or we know the names anecdotally, like someone’s great grandfather worked in Capua, and the family lore carried the name from 1800’s?

I think a lot has to do with the keeping of records. Lost/destroyed, never kept to begin with or classified (less likely in this event).

1 Like
1 Like

Hi Vlad,

The G.D initials is one of the examples that may require a different interpretation of the capotecnici names, because you will find that during the timeframe it was manufactured the only capotecnico at Capua having a “G” and a “D” in its name was D’Auria Giuseppe (D.G). However, since I don’t have documentation indicating that certain names were used with reversed initials, I’ll leave this to others to draw their own conclusions.

Other unknown examples that may have its initials reversed could be:

Unknown L.M by Torino = M.L = Martini Lorenzo
Unknown V.S by Capua = S.V = Saettone Vincenzo

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Hola Fede,
The use of Family name first, Given name second, dates from Napoleonic times, in All Official Italian documentation., from birth, death and marriages, conscription lists, any communicarions with or from authorities, etc etc…in the case of homonyms, the army class year ( year of birth) and also the father’s first name were added to create a distinct ID.
Example: Vallati Astrid, classe 1949, di fu Fausto.
( fu indicates father is deceased).
So if I was a chief inspector of an Army ammunition plant, my HS would be " VA". and never AV.

Saludos, mi amigo
Doc AV

1 Like

Hi Doc AV,

I know that the family name should go first, but my point is that we don’t know if changes were made to avoid confusion with other capotecnici or authorities working at the same factory or at a different establishment that was receiving cases manufactured by them. For example, D’Auria Giuseppe (D.G) was listed as the main capotecnico at Capua between 1880 and 1891, and you can find 10.4x47R cartridges headstamped G.D C-79 to C-90. As you can see, there is too much coincidence here to ignore the possibility that some initials are reversed.

Saludos,

Fede

Interesting that no one has mentioned “the elephant in the room” which is the cartridge shown by Vlad has been altered to accept a modern shotgun shell primer!
For reloading purposes?

1 Like