105mm for M68

Not a rimfire so as normal I plead ignorance. What I think I know about it is it’s for a M68 gun and used in the M60 series and early M1 tanks. Is that correct? There is a lot number on the side of the case is that typical? Any other information as to it’s origin and history would be appreciated.

105 base
105 cs

Thanks
Paul

1 Like

Nice shell case, Paul.

It is indeed a tank round for the, M60 and, Abrams M1 Tanks fitted with a, M68 gun system. It is a tactical APDS-T (ARMOR PIERCING DISCARDING SABOT TRACER) round, very similar to the attached photo of my, M392A2 APDS-T. :slight_smile:

Jason

1 Like

What separates a tactical round from a non-tactical one? :wink:

Ole

Case made by Norris-Thermador Corp., Los Angeles, CA. Loaded/assembled at the Milan Army Ammunition Plant, Milan, TN.

1 Like

Jason and Fede, thanks for the replies.

Paul

1 Like

Hey Ole,

A tactical round is used in anger during combat vs a target practice round. In most cases, tactical rounds are a lot more expensive so they are only used during tactical, real deal events. Also, many tactical tank rounds as well others utilize, DU Cores. Due to international laws and agreements, those rounds can only be fired during legitimate combat events in times of war and R&D testing with strict safety protocols.

Jason

That’s interesting Jason. What features or markings indicate it’s “tactical”.

Paul

1 Like

hello
normaly no special marking ,only knowing the type of load
HE or APDS/APFSDS and their model number (ex M900 APFSDS) markings are tactical
TP are non tactical
i don’t know to class SMOKE WP

1 Like