105mm HEP (High Explosive Plastic) Projectile M468 date 1977

An someone please educate me on the U.S. 105mm projectile stamped in the metal 105mm M468 and dated 1977?
Typical rounded nose as used on the HEP (also called High Explosive Squash Head or HESH) projectiles.
Probably target practrice as it is painted blue.

Not sure if it is for a 105mm gun, but it has two copper (?) driving bands with the forward one grooved (perhaps for crimping the case?) and the rear one smooth. In between there is a rubber type ring about 1/4" wide. Base is threaded for a tracer element.

Since the driving bads are NOT pre-engraved, and the late date, I assume it is NOT for the 105mm or 106mm recoilless rifles.

What is the designation for the complete round, and was it for the 105mm tank guns, or something else?
Thanks!

I suspect that it is for the M-68 gun on the M-60 series main battle tank. As I recall, the ballistic computers on our M-60A1’s included a setting for the HEP round as late as the 1990’s…

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I suspect that it is for the M-68 gun on the M-60 series main battle tank. As I recall, the ballistic computers on our M-60A1’s included a setting for the HEP round as late as the 1990’s…

AKMS[/quote]

Bingo. Funny is HEP set in the ballistic computer and a SABOT is shot.

Agreed that there was a 105mm HEP round used in U.S. tanks, but everything I can find says that is the M393 (or A1, A2, A3 variants).

Nothing at all found on the M468. Was the M468 possibly a projectile for the 105mm Howitzer, or a follow on to the initial M393 that was abandoned in favor of M393A1 or later modifications?