10x54R FSDS 4.5mm flechette sabot

I know that some of you are on Facebook, and if so, you might consider following one of our members, Maxim Popenker (Russian author - gun books) who, although rarely in the forum, has just started doing a “cartridge of the week” sort of post from his Facebook feed. They will figure to be interesting & obscure Russian cartridges, and his first one is this 10x54R FSDS with 4.5mm flechette which dates from the 60’s, and was dropped after an experimental phase according to his caption:

https://www.facebook.com/maxim.popenker?fref=photo

Photo from Maxim Popenker:

Beautifully designed flechette :-) Interesting pinched waist design. Is that so it breaks into two pieces after entering its target?

Jason

“Obscure” I would call the variant with 2 flechettes next to each other.

Jason, this one is not meant to break. It has a flat on one side of the ogive so the projectile will be diverted to one side when impacting into tissue, this then will cause the projectile body to bend (only) and sowith cause a larger wound cavity when it keeps on moving without a straight trail. Certainly a measure to make up for the small projectile diameter which could have caused only an insufficient effect on the target - or simply said: it could have been lacking lethality.

Matt,
thanks for advertising ;)

actually i was thinking about more broad spectrum of “weekly” cartridges (i.e. various rarities and experimentals from around the world, such as Schiernikers, folded paths, etc), but I sure will post some Soviet and Russian stuff as well from time to time

Thank you, Alex!

Appreciate the explanation of its design and function. :-)

Jason

The Russians seem to be pioneers in the development of saboted flechettes. Somewhere in my unsorted files I have a drawing of a cartridge designed in the 1920’s by the Mitin brothers -of sound supressed Nagant revolver’s fame- which seems to be based on the 7.62x54R case. I’ll post it as soon as I find it.

Fede, not only the revolver but also the silencer for the M1891 rifle variants which was designated “BRAMIT” (BraMit = “Bratya Mitin” = Mitin brothers).

It would be interesting to see that other one based on the 7.62x54R you mentioned as there were other designs and calibers (12.7x108) as well if I remember correctly.

Here it is. The drawing also shows a barrel section having a sabot stripper.

Ah, ok, as it is a patent the question remains if these were ever built in reality.
What is the year on this one?

Alex, it dates from 1925.

That is early indeed!