11.3x45mm Dutch Remington Rolling Block Cavalry Carbine

Does anyone have an example of an original Dutch Remington Rolling Block cavalry 11.3x45mm cartridge or a picture of it? George Layman in his book “Remington Rolling Block Military Rifles of the World” has a section about the Remington Rolling Block carbine adopted by the Netherlands in 1870. The original cartridge was in a 11.3x45mm caliber and later modified by Dutch for the longer Infantry Rifle cartridges. I have been searching the internet and can’t find a picture of this cartridge, can someone help?

George,

Hoyem’s “History and Develop of Small Arms Ammunition, Vol. 2” lists as item CRF 147 a cartridge described as “11.4x44.5R Gendarmerie Carbine, 1869” and indicates use in the Remington Rolling Block. This may be the item?

There is a whole cartridge pictured as well as a sectioned round that was from the International Exposition Philadelphia, 1876. The latter I believe is shown in Lewis’ fantastic article on the Exposition collection as item 165 in drawer 5 and a link to a download for that may be found here: (Big File)

sil.si.edu/smithsoniancontri … T-0011.pdf

Dave

[Edited to add location in Lewis article]

Dave, thank you. It took me several tries, but I finally got the Lewis article/study to download. Yes, you are right, this is the cartridge I am looking for. Thanks for your research to help me. This has to be an ultra rare cartridge. I have been collecting all the possible cartridges used in the Remington Rolling Block rifle and this is the reason I was interested in finding out more about his particular one. It looks it would really be a challenge to get.

George,

Glad to be of help. You must have quite a list of cartridges to collect even if you limit it to the military contract calibers. How many calibers have you determined were used in the Rolling Block?

Dave

Hi George, you’ve got mail !
Please feel free to publish whenever you want.