11.6x40R Danish Rolling Block

Does anyone have any information on the 11.6x40R Danish Rolling Block Cartridge? Thanks:Jack

Jack, here are my notes on the 11.6x40R - bound to be some points of discussion:

The converted Remington 1867 rifle was used in the Danish army until 1919 and in the navy till 1942 when they were replaced. Many rifles were then sent to Greenland where they were used as hunting rifles. A new cartridge was developed to keep the old rifles alive. Production of the 51mm long cases had ceased but the new 8mm M1889 8x58R Krag-Jorgensen (SC65) case used the same basic dimensions for the body. By cutting the 1889 model case just below the shoulder, you end up with a short cartridge for the modified Rolling Block, the so-called “Greenland cartridge”. This cartridge kept the rifle alive to the mid 1960’s.

This cartridge is easily mistaken for a factory made military 40mm case length of the 11.7mm Danish types. These were however produced by Dansk Ammunitionsfabrik of Otterup from c1955 using shortened 8x58R Krag-Jorgensen military cases and generally Norma “Np” monogram primers.

Produced for Greenland hunters which acquired some of the Ex-Military M67 Remington Rifles (converted to CF) after WW2. Evidently the Royal Greenland Trading Company also converted some 8x58R Krag-Jorgensen rifles to this calibre. Loaded typically with a single grooved lead bullet and black powder, it is found with case lengths varying from 39.5 - 40.3mm. All have military hs (dating from 1910-1942), many with reload (ie ’ * ’ or ‘o’) symbols.

Here is a link with some info:

http://www.vaabenhistoriskselskab.dk/arma-dania/_AD_patroner_view.php?editid1=115

Was rimfire ammunition manufactured for military use as late as 1942 when the navy were using the rifles?

Falcon–This round was made in both Rimfire and Centerfire. I would assume any guns still in use in 1942 would have been converted to centerfire. U.M.C. last made the .46 Danish Rimfire in 1896.

Here’s a box of the ‘Greenland’ cartridges made from the shortened 8mm Krag-Jorgensen cases.

Can you find any headstamp in those boxes?

Here is a shot of the headstamps in this box, which are the typical headstamps that will be found on military 8 x 58 Krag cases. The headstamp dates range from 1911 to 1938.

Thanks for the photo. I thought they might have used any available brass.

The official use of the 11,6 Remington was for punching holes in mines that had been surfaced by the cable cutting equipment on board mine sweepers. That is the explanation you get when you wonder why they had them so long.
Soren

Were steel cored bullets made for them for that purpose?

I picked up a partial box of 11.6x40R reloads like these at SLICS and found almost all of the 8x58R case headstamps to be different. I think I paid $25 or $30, but I notice a seller on Gunbroker wants $275.00 for an unopened box. Pretty steep considering the quality of the ammo, and that they are reloads on cut down brass. Full box is probably more like $50 if in great condition?

Not steel core but cupro/nickel jacket with lead core.