11mm Riera cartridge

I have read a lot about this cartridge, is it fake, where is it from does it even work?
How about we talk about the gun. Can’t have a cartridge without a gun. I realize this is a cartridge forum so I hope someone will indulge me a little time. I have done a lot of research on this cartridge and have come to the conclusion the only gun was made by Constant Joseph DEGUELDRE in Belgium around 1854, and I seem to have the only copy of this gun. And I cannot think of any reason anyone would want to copy this cartridge if for in fact there is only one gun still able to shoot. I also realize this has been going for over 160 years. I do have two of these cartridges which looks authentic. These cartridges fit the cylinder like a glove.
If anyone would take the time and try to shine some light on this poor old gun, which is in perfect condition, and yes I have contacted Littlegun.be and received several comments.
Bob ( Robert ) Sigmon
rcsig@cox.net

1 Like

Hello Bob, welcome to the forum. I assume that you mean “Riera”, but the cartridge used in the Degueldre revolver is a different design. Please, can you post pictures of our specimens?

Regards,

Fede

Hello Fede this is what I don’t understand. I know Degueldre had three patents for his guns two pin fires, 7 & 9 mm ( I think ). The other a cartridge that looks like the 11mm Riera. Made in Spain ( I think ). I did not notice before but my keyboard keeps putting a v in the Riera. I should proof read. I have this gun, for 20 years. I found two cartridges, one from my good friend John Scott the other from another friend Gene Spicer, which they ( John & Gene ) claim to be authentic. These two cartridges fit perfectly in the cylinder, with the hammer coming down to strike perfectly. I sent everything I had to Alain Trigger from .Littlegun.be. He kept all the pictures, about 25, for several weeks, I finally ask for them back. When I looked at his web site again I found all my pictures were there, and they are still there as well as other sites. He said this gun was probably made less than the fingers on one hand. As you can see I could write about this gun for hours, thanks for listening. Any and all the information you can add, PLEASE do.

Bob

Sir, would you please tell me the different types of cartridges for the Degueldre Revolver. I believe there are the: 7mm PINFIRE, 9mm PINFIRE , and a ??? 11mm or 12mm ? Thank you

Bob

Bob, this is what a Degueldre cartridge should look, according to the 1864 patent:

de

As you can seen, it differ from the Riera cartridge.

Regards,

Fede

Hey Bob
Glad to hear that your cartridges fit your pistol. I bought mine from Tom Dunn Casper Wyo. in the 90’s. Tom told me he bought a few 12 Riera’s from a gun dealer somewhere in Europe at a gun show. Brought them back kept one for his collection and sold some. I have read previous articles and opinions on this cartridge not even sure it has been named correctly. So I sectioned mine. Here is the picture. It had some very fine black powder between the two brass cups. The mold that cast this lead bullet with was expertly made with perfect thin lead petals to fold on to the pin. So the small priming charge is way too light to shoot this bullet and I think it is to set off a larger external charge. This I believe is a legitimate cartridge that very little is known about. Cartridges when it comes to actual manufacturing of them don’t always end up looking exactly like the patent. The 50-70 Rodman Crispin cartridge doesn’t have the paper cover like the patent shows for example. I believe there is much more to know about this thing. Chaplain

Madison,
Thanks for your post. I picked up one of these in a trade when I was stationed in Europe in the mid-1970s or perhaps on one of my very early trips back in about 1980.

With all the rhetoric about them being fake, I just put it away. I have seen too many outstanding items destroyed because someone “decided” they must be fake without any actual proof.

It seems to me your pistol is pretty good confirmation that they are legit.

Could you please post an image of your gun and if possible some photos showing how well they fit the weapon? It would be greatly appreciated by both myself, and others who have held on to these items.

If someone has proof that these are actually fakes, please post the support for that position. A great aspect of this Forum is that it is exactly that, a Forum to surface these discussions.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew
October 11
Madison,
Thanks for your post. I picked up one of these in a trade when I was stationed in Europe in the mid-1970s or perhaps on one of my very early trips back in about 1980.

With all the rhetoric about them being fake, I just put it away. I have seen too many outstanding items destroyed because someone “decided” they must be fake without any actual proof.

It seems to me your pistol is pretty good confirmation that they are legit.

Could you please post an image of your gun and if possible some photos showing how well they fit the weapon? It would be greatly appreciated by both myself, and others who have held on to these items.

If someone has proof that these are actually fakes, please post the support for that position. A great aspect of this Forum is that it is exactly that, a Forum to surface these discussions.

Cheers,
Lew

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.