11x60R Mauser ID please?

I’ve just acquired a 11x60R Mauser cartridge and I’m trying to ID the manufacturer. As shown below, there is what appears to be an S at 9 o’clock and an A at 3 o’clock. There may be another S at 12 o’clock but it is different to the first one. The number at 6 o’clock is either 75 or 76.

S20190218_0001

I don’t think that the two circles are part of the headstamp but I could be wrong! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Darren

It is a contract for Germany from; Small Arms Factory December 1875.
Reloaded 2x. (Circle)

Rgds
Dutch

1 Like

Thanks Dutch. I’m guessing the S and A indicate the Small Arms Factory but what signifies December?
Cheers,
Darren

I am sorry, I misunderstood 12o’clock. Could it be 8 or 3?

They exported, as far I know from Month 2 (February) 1875 until Month 4 (April) 1976

No need to apologise, as I wasn’t sure if I was actually seeing anything real at 12 o’clock. I’ll try to find a better lens and take a closer look. If I had to make a call, I’d say it was a three.

Also, I forgot to ask, where was the small arms factory that fulfilled the contract?

Thanks again,
Darren

At 12 o’clock there is a number, not a letter, that could represent the month.
In this case I think it’s a 5, like in this one:

Here you can read some references about this cartridge (in Spanish!) with even other numbers at 12 o’clock: http://www.municion.org/11_15x60R/11_15x60R.htm

Bye

1 Like

The name of the factory that manufactured the case is Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Company, Limited, Adderley Park, Saltey, Birmingham.

Here is a list of known headstamps, Phil Butler sent me years ago, if anyone can add to it.

S A – BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS & METAL Co.

1874 12
1875 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12
1876 1-2-3-4-5
example – 11 A 75 S (or S 11 A 75)

Dan

The circles indicate a reloaded cartridge case; one time for the last shown case, twice for the first shown case.

Thank you Dan, now definitely the number at 12 o’clock stands for the month, and it enlarges a bit the time span the S A used to export those cartridges previously said by @dutch.
By the way I can’t add others headstamp to your list, sorry!