12.7x108 and 14.5x118 CIP Data Sheets

Hello guys, I was looking for the CIP data sheets regarding 12.7x108 and 14.5x118 cartridges but I have not find any. Does any of you have them and could post a link with them here? Thank you!

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

12.7x108: 12.7x108.pdf (23.3 KB)

14.5x114 is not homologated.

Regards,

Fede

Thanks Fede. Is there a way to find the value of Q (same as the one from CIP) for 14.5 mm, or a closer value to Q?

Wow, FEDE, you certainly do keep us [by that I mean ME!] on our [MY!] toes…
I had to look that big word up, two points there, man!

According to Albom Patronow of 1946, bore dimensions are:
bore diameter: 14.50+0.05 mm
groove diameter: 14.93+0.05 mm
8 grooves, each 3.4+0.2 mm wide.
Grooves and lands look to be equally wide. So a close approximation for Q would be the mean area of bore and groove diameter. But in any case you can compute it from the above dimensions.

1 Like

Thank you Peelen! And by the way, do you know a way to calculate the bullet length using a CIP data sheet? Thanks.

I am not sure what you mean by bullet length here.
CIP does not prescribe bullet length. The L6 dimension is shown for gunmakers to give them a hint on required magazine length.

Ok. Forget about bullet length. I realized I was asking a silly question. Sorry.
But I still have one last question regarding CIP: When I’m referring to the total length of a cartridge, I shall look at the L6 or L3+G? Thanks again!

The total length of a cartridge is L6. But keep in mind that this is only a guideline and only valid in the CIP context. Military cartridges are more strictly regulated (158.0-1.5 mm for 14.5x114 for example) to make sure they can be handled by the feed system of all weapons.
For a reloader, cartridge overall length (comparable to L6) as given in the load data is very important, because it has direct effect on the gas pressure that a given load will produce.
Dimension L3+G refers not to the cartridge, but to the chamber in the barrel. It indicates the distance from the breech face to the end of the forcing cone (where the land/groove profile of the barrel is fully developed).

Wow… headache… anyone have a cheat sheet for what all those letters actually mean,
for those of us who are not mathematically or engineerally inclined?

Go to the CIP site at bobp.cip-bobp.org/en/tdcc_public and download a cartridge data sheet of your choice (EN is in English). The drawings will show what L3, L6 etc. mean.

Here are some Chinese 14.5×114mm cartridge&chamber drawings.Hope these could be helpful.

2 Likes

O.K., while I understand some of those, is there a chart that has the menings of all those letter codes, like an index?
There are plenty that still do not make sense to me…

Sorry, no official documentation that I know of.
But there is a thread from December 2018 titled CIP Data Sheets where you find some of the not so obvious dimension symbols explained (to my best knowledge).