I show you this .50 BMG API-T M 20 and API M8, made by Poongsan for US Army
Nicola, thanks for sharing. These were not manufactured by Poongsan but by IMI in Israel.
So IMI loaded for the US in Poongsan headstamped cases ???
I was told by Army ammo source friend “they” had a lot of weapon issues with this ammo
I need one of each
Pepper, no, the cases were also manufactured by IMI.
From a previous Forum discussion:
Re: IMI and Poongsan Corporation
Thanks for raising the source the PMJ headstamp again. It does appear that the headstamp is Israeli in origin. The subject of Ammunition Information Notice AIN 036-11 is “Cartridge, .50 Caliber, manufactured by Israeli Military Industries (IMI) with manufacturers identification symbol PMJ”.
191947Z Nov 10
FROM CDR USAJMC ROCK ISL IL//AMSJM-QAS//
SUBJECT: AMMUNITION INFORMATION NOTICE AIN 036-11 CARTRIDGE, .50 CALIBER, MANUFACTURED BY ISRAEL MILITARY INDUSTRIES (IMI) WITH MANUFACTURER’S IDENTIFICATION SYMBOL “PMJ”, DODICS A555/A557/A576
1. AIN 035-11 WAS TRANSMITTED ON 191836Z Nov 10.
2. THIS IS THE INITIAL ISSUE FOR THIS AIN.
3. DODICS: A555, A557, A576
4. REQUEST THIS AIN BE DISSEMINATED TO ALL PERSONNEL INVOLVED IN INSPECTING, STORING, HANDLING, ISSUING, OR USING SUBJECT AMMUNITION.
5. CARTRIDGE, .50 CALIBER AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED BY ISRAEL MILITARY INDUSTRIES (IMI) (PMJ LOT NUMBERS AND HEAD STAMP) INDUCES A MUCH HIGHER NUMBER OF WEAPON STOPPAGES COMPARED TO AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED AT LAKE CITY ARMY AMMUNITION PLANT (LCAAP) (LC LOT NUMBERS AND HEADSTAMP). AN ARDEC INVESTIGATION DETERMINED THAT THE ROOT CAUSE OF STOPPAGES IS SOFTER THAN NORMAL CARTRIDGE CASES.
6. TO ENSURE COMBAT EFFECTIVENESS IN THE THEATHER OF OPERATIONS, LCAAP PRODUCED CALIBER .50 AMMUNITION DODICS A555/A557/A576 WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY FOR COMBAT LOADS. ¿PMJ¿ LOTS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO USE AS TRAINING AMMUNITION. USING UNITS SHOULD BE NOTIFIED OF THE GREATER POSSIBILITY OF INCREASED WEAPON STOPPAGES, HOWEVER THE ASSOCIATED IMPACTS ON USER¿S TRAINING IS CONSIDERED TO BE ACCEPTABLE AND POSSIBLY DESIRED TO ENSURE GUNNER PROFICIENCY TO CORRECT STOPPAGES IN TRAINING.
7. “PMJ” LOTS OF CALIBER .50 AMMUNITION DODICS A555/A557/A576 SHALL NOT BE ISSUED AS COMBAT LOAD TO UNITS DEPLOYING TO THEATER.
8. ASP PERSONNEL WILL FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO ENSURE PROPER USE OF THE CALIBER .50 AMMUNITION MANUFACTURED BY IMI AND TO
9. For POCs: https://mhp.redstone.army.mil 10. THIS AIN WILL REMAIN VALID UNLESS RESCINDED OR SUPERSEDED.