12 Gauge 00 Riot/Protected Crimp Buckshot Loads

I am curious about a type of shotshell I see listed in some postwar ammunition price lists. A 1946 Winchester ammunition jobber’s price list on ebay gives item RK4300P as a “12 Gauge Riot Buckshot Load” , 00 buck, with “protected crimp.” The Western 1946 price list shows SR3500B as a “Riot P.C.” 12 Gauge 00 load. The 1946 Peters dealer’s price list on the reference page to this site lists a similar 12 Gauge 00 load, item XPCOO, again with protected crimp (“for guards and highway patrolmen”). I see special guard loads for 12 Gauge 00 in Remington price lists up through 1941, but not after the war. Can anyone explain just how such loads would differ from a standard 12 Gauge 00 buck shell? Also, is protected crimp by any chance a reference to folded crimp? Any help or information about the nature and performance of these shells is appreciated, thanks.

I’m not a shotshell guy but at least the two on the left are the protected crimp…protected from repeatedly loading and unloading the rounds. Peters with the classic black extended wad and a mint Kleanbore with the wad labeled as such.
A shotshell expert will need to weigh in on the Western on the right with the extended wad…I’m out of my league with that one.

It wouldn’t upload my photo

You just solved a mystery on my list, I have one exactly the same as the middle cartridge

Thanks very much, Pepper, especially for the photo. What is that cap on the crimp made of, plastic or cardboard? Also, do you or does anyone know if such protected crimp shells performed differently in any way from standard 00 shells?

They were paper & I’d think there was no practical difference in performance. Smaller than bore dia, & much lighter than even a single OO Buck pellet.

As Pepper noted these were for use in guns that would be cleared & reloaded each shift change & it was just the keep the paper hull from wearing out from this repeated use & to thus save money.

Guys,

Pic attached of a box.

Jim