12 gauge Active door breaching shells

Here’s a box I recently purchased from the estate of a retired FBI agent, so it may have followed him home from work. Does anyone have a photo of one of these that is sectioned to show what makes them special?

Guy … does your ctg have a copper looking flat projectile that is exposed in the nose held by a rolled lip?//

It doesn’t. The top wad appears to be thin clear plastic over what appears to be a blue paper or plastic wad, held in place with a roll crimp. The wads are set back .265" below the crimped mouth of the shell.

Here is what I have … the ones I have I “know” came back from Iraq and were use for breaching … and may have been used for other purposes.

No idea what happened! here is second pic:

I don’t know what’s behind the blue wad on mine - perhaps the copper colored projectile and plastic sabot/wad as are in yours.

Nice shell and box Guy. One I don’t have, of course.
The top number on the box looks like an old Navy stock number, used to order the ordnance with, so I’m sure thats MilSpec and probably Navy.

Nice to see the broken down load too. Interesting indeed!

ACTIV made[u]all kinds[u] of specialty shells.

Shotmeister

That number is a National Stock Number, used by all US services, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard ,FBI and other US Gov. law enforcement agencies. So no way to tell from number which service used it.

The big difference in the present NSN and the old Federal Stock Number is the added second group of numbers which denotes the country of origin. In this case 01 indicates the US.

The NSN is used thru out the NATO countries and perhaps others.

I do not keep up on such things any more, perhaps the NSN system has even been superseded, anyone know?

45B20

[quote=“45B20”]Shotmeister

The big difference in the present NSN and the old Federal Stock Number is the added second group of numbers which denotes the country of origin. In this case 01 indicates the US.

45B20[/quote]

Last week in Germany I have seen ammo being made for the US and it was also coded “01”. So the meaning meaning of the country code is to be defined in a wider sense I assume.

[quote=“Shotmeister”]Nice shell and box Guy. One I don’t have, of course.
The top number on the box looks like an old Navy stock number, used to order the ordnance with, so I’m sure thats MilSpec and probably Navy.

Nice to see the broken down load too. Interesting indeed!

ACTIV made[u]all kinds[u] of specialty shells.[/quote]

I have lots of these for sale. Check Auctionarms and Gunbroker.

This is the contents of yours. metallic dust. All lots are the same. This one from the same numbered box as yours.

These work best on metal doors. They blow right open . They tend to splinter wooden doors leaving a sharp mess for officers or troops to climb through.

[quote=“1SFG”]Here is what I have … the ones I have I “know” came back from Iraq and were use for breaching … and may have been used for other purposes./img]
[/quote]

One problem with these shells is that the heads split. Near the 12 on this one it appears to be happening. Heating and cooling causes this. In Iraq this is a problem with all plastic ordnance.

[quote=“45B20”]Shotmeister

That number is a National Stock Number, used by all US services, Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard ,FBI and other US Gov. law enforcement agencies. So no way to tell from number which service used it.
45B20[/quote]

I stand corrected. Should have been more precise in my statement because I knew NSN stood for National Stock Number but my RPPO duties were about forty years ago and I tend to forget details over time. Never knew Federal agencies used the same supply system. I handled a lot of ammunition in my 20 yrs but certainly a very narrow field compared to some but I only saw ACTIV ammunition once and that was standard field loads that we used in training. Have no recolection of what the boxes looked like, whether they were 10ct or 25ct or what.

As for the 2nd, 2 digit number, I wonder about your definition but have no authenticated documentation to argue it. I just remember most ordnance items to have 01 vice the 00 unmber but some repair parts had 01 too. Again, it has been some time since I used the system and its probably changed.

Very refreshing to see a good post on shot shells, especially one so educational.

My mistake. The last time I sold these I took them down because fellows were buying them to shoot. I do not sell shooting ammo even at high prices. I will relist these on Auctionarms and Gunbroker later today- not for shooting.

I only have lots 1 , 5 , 6 left.

Being supply for the brief 2 years before EOD, I’ll confirm that the second two digit group is the country code. 00 and 01 are, as stated, US. The code is also known as the NATO Stock Number, and is used by countries other than NATO, i.e., Japan (30), Saudi Arabia (70), etc. The first part of the code is the FSC (Federal Supply Class), with the first two of that being the FSG (Federal Supply Group). 13 for an FSG designates ordnance. You’ll also notice that on the bottom of the box is a DODIC (Department of Defense Identification Code), which is used for ammunition and is specific to that piece of ordnance.

Dr Schmitt,
Thank you for posting the picture of the sectioned shell.

1SFG,
Is the copper colored projectile in your Iraq shell compressed powder that breaks up on impact, or does it remain intact?

I am somewhat confused by this. EOD said that he saw ammo being made in GERMANY for the US recently with the 01 code.

Does that code mean “for use in the US” rather than made in the US ?

[quote=“GuyHildebrand”]Dr Schmitt,
Thank you for posting the picture of the sectioned shell.

1SFG,
Is the copper colored projectile in your Iraq shell compressed powder that breaks up on impact, or does it remain intact?[/quote]

The term “sectioned” was very kind. Actually I just cut one open.

The solid slugs are pressed powdered metal with a binder. I think that these are for longer range use. The powdered metal version is very short range.

The contract number is N00164-95-C-0167.

N00164 indicates that the contract was awarded by NSWC-Crane.
95 indicates that the contract was awarded during Fiscal Year 1995.
C indicates a basic contract, as opposed to D (Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity contract) or P (purchase order).

As for Federal Supply Class 1305, 13 indicates Ammunition, and 05 indicates 30mm or less.