12 gauge breaching door

hello

someone can tell me more about this cartridge, it is use by police or army
it is frangible ? what is the factory who produce this cartridge?

With the FSN number on it should be military unless the US Police is using them also.

Here’s a page that comes back with that NSN #; cqbsupply.com/doorbreaching.html These are “sort of” frangible, in that they’re designed to break apart on impact, but they’re meant solely for blowing locks and hinges off of doors, without leaving large fragments to ricochet around on the other side of the door. If you were to shoot a PERSON with one, it would have the same effect as a slug.

The Federal Stock Number (FSN) at the top of the label only means it has been “Cataloged” by the Defense Logistics Agency so it can be routinely procured by the military. Things are seldom “Cataloged” unless they will be procured by the US military and it usually requires a request from somewhere in the DOD supply system to have an item cataloged. DOD units can also go out and buy commercially available items using an “impact” card or other funds, and these commercial buys do not cause a FSN to be applied. Usually cataloging and an FSN is assigned only when an item is DOD specific and/or there is an intention for substantial and continuing procurement (i.e.) it is considered a “standard” item, what ever that means. Companies with political clout have gotten items cataloged when there was no DOD requirement and no procurement so there are lots of one-off variations on the process above.

The “1305” is the Federal Stock Class which identifies the overall group (Small Caliber Ammunition-I think). The Army is the DOD single manager for FSC 1305. They do the the procurement, management, storage and life cycle survellence for most (practically all) DOD small arms ammunition.

The next group of numbers “01” is the country code. NATO adopted the US FSN system as the NSN (National Stock Number) and added the the two digit “Country Code” to the 11 digit US FSN. The “01” indicates the item was cataloged by the US, but once it is cataloged, it can be procured by anyother NATO country.

Part of the cataloging process is creating a technical description of the item (which is where the Army FSC1305 Data Sheets come from), and often a technical reprocurement package which includes the data needed to buy the item. This package may have significant detail or it may be pretty limited if a company ownes the technical description of the item.

Plugging the FSN into Google brings up http://www.cqbsupply.com/doorbreaching.html that provides the basic FSC1305 Data Sheet info on the round and offers them for sale for $80 for 20.

The Army FM 4-30.13, appendix F (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/4-30-13/appf.htm provides a good description of all the numbers on the front of this label and other US military ammo boxes. There is a fair amount of info there if you want to look.

By the way “TIV” in your lot number on the box is the Federal Supply Code for Manufacturers and tells you who made the cartridge. If you are a diehard and want to be able to read all this information, go to http://www.dlis.dla.mil/hseries.asp and order the “H-Series CD ROM” which includes the manufacturers codes and the DODICs which identifies ammunition items and all the other stuff you need to read a US military label. The CD is $18.

Lew, thanks for clarifying that.

TIV = ACTIV INDUSTRIES, INC

Address:
ACTIV INDUSTRIES, INC.
P.O. BOX 339
1000 ZIGOR ROAD
KEARNEYSVILLE, WV 25430

Code issued Nov 1995

hello
many thanks for your explain.
I’m surprise by this cartridge because normally military ammunition have a designation with M xx

thanks a lot.

samourai

Door breaching shotshells are indeed a “sort of” frangible round – as pointed out above. Though I have never fired one (or had need to do so), it is my understanding that their load is of powdered lead – likely loosely clumped together in order to act as one mass upon a lock or hinge – but finely divided enough so that richochet back to the user is not as dangerous as a normal shotshell with either pellets or a single slug would be in the same circumstances. Also, the shotgun would be positioned very close to the lock to be destroyed. Still, despite all the TV and Movie locks being shot off, I would be certain to wear very heavy duty goggles and other protective gear if I ever had to actually use a shotgun to shoot a lock off. By the way, the shell pictured is headstamped “ACTIV 12 ACTIV 12” (yes, twice).

Some loads for breaking doors are made with square shot in France.
jp

This is a whole collecting field. There are lots of variations. The Czech Police had a similar round, and I even have a Czech practice door breaching round that is loaded with tea that leaves a stain on the door when fired!!!

In addition to lead, powdered copper is sometimes used. Standard practice is to take-out the hinges, not the lock.

I am very doubtfull if this kind of shell is working on a standard European (at least French) door.
Overhere almost all the walls are in concrete, the doors are plain wood very thick, and the locks are a lot bigger and stronger than the US ones.
All the police guys I know are not using shells like that (except if they want to open vans ) but rather some explosive when they have to open a door.
JP

Several manufacturers make 12 gauge door-breaching rounds, but whenever I see the UK police breaking into a house, they use a battering ram: a steel cylinder with handles which is sized for one or two men to be able to use.

method for opening door is different if the door is simply or if attach are renforced, I’m speaking with policeman and they tell sometime they open door with several point in the wall and with this version you should be use pneumatic system.

Over the past year, U.S. Army have begun receiving a new tool to facilitate operations in an urban/counterinsurgency environment: the M100 grenade rifle entry munition (GREM). A lightweight, muzzle-launched, standoff-breaching munition, GREM is the Army’s first rifle-launched grenade designed to provide door-breaching capability for all door types, including steel doors. The munition is launched off the muzzle of an M16[A2] or an M4, as the system is in two parts-the primary explosive and the forward standoff rod. To use it, the soldier "screws the rod in-which provides the actual standoff that it needs-and then puts it on the end of an M16 and launches it at the door. When the standoff rod tip hits the door, it initiates the explosives and creates the overpressure that blows the door in-and anybody in the immediate vicinity. GREM can be fired from the M16 or M4 series weapons with 5.56 mm service ammunition, either M855 ball or M856 tracer. Because it neither attaches to the weapon nor requires special ammunition, the M100 provides users with the tactical ability to engage targets immediately after firing the GREM. The fielding of GREM did not result from a formal development activity but rather emerged as an accelerated soldier enhancement initiative.

I have some very cool video of it “opening” some doors…(but I am clueless how to post it)(and it does not have a link to send you to)

PS…not exactly as “less lethal” as the frangible rounds we have been discussing…and as Lew said…yes a “speciality” in itslef…I love special purpose ammo…so the “odd-er” the better !

this grenade it is a copy of the SIMON grenade produce by Rafael (Israel)
it is right with this type of ammo no problems for opening door !!!
thanks
samourai

[quote=“samourai”]this grenade it is a copy of the SIMON grenade produce by Rafael (Israel)
[/quote]

It isn’t a copy. The M100 GREM is the Rafael Simon.