12 - gauge ignition cartridge - NOW WITH PICS!

I have a 12 gauge ignition cartridge , very light and with a green paper body .
OAL is 61,20 mm ( 1.410").Headstamp is “FEDERAL” and there’s a brass cup on the mouth with an impressed “1 - 201” . On the body is written “IGNITION CARTRIDGE M 2 4.2 INCH - M”

I’d like to have some info about this round

Could that be a mortar propelling round?
90thidpg.us/Equipment/Weapon … index.html

Thanks,
I found it.It is a ignition cartridge for the american 4.2 inch mortar

Now I’d only need some info about the brass cup on the mouth and the various markings

The propellant cartridge placed into the tail body assembly of a 4,2 inch Mortar shell (bomb) exerts its Gas pressure through the Paper part of the Shell case, and then through the Holes in the steel Tail shank. The End cap is to prevent the Case Crimp from opening up, and thus allowing all the gas from the cartridge to be vented into the “Low pressure” space around the Tail assembly, to propel the Bomb out of the Tube and onto the Target.
This gives the Gentle" Push" rather than a Fuze-jarring “punch” of the charge going out the crimped end of the shell.

4,2" Bombs usually had accessory “charges” wrapped around the central Tube, to give variable ranges, so the central shotshell charge was also known as an “Igniter” to the wrap-around charges.
During WW II, the 4,2 Inch Mortar was the heaviest Allied Mortar in use, and used for both HE and “Chemical” use (Smoke, Flares, Propaganda leaflets, etc. and even Noxious gas if required.

3" mortars also used the 12 ga. shell, whilst the 2" used a 28 gauge shell.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Hey Pivi

Here’s more info than you’ll ever want on those ignition catridges.