120 mm tank shells

I have a term project about tank projectile and i have been searching data about 120 mm tank rounds for a while. The only thing i cannot find is the size of steel case. The loading part of a tank barrel is fitting exactly with the round but there are so many kinds of rounds. So the case part of them have to have a standart size.

1-If you know, can you please tell me the bottle neck diameter, the main steel case diameter and the base case diameter of a 120 mm tank round?

This is the only place left for an answer. If there are any collector can you please measure a 120 mm shell dimensions for me?
I will be grateful.

Thank you

Penetrator, If you do a search on the internet using TM 43-0001-28 it will give you the Army Ammunition Data Sheets for Guns, Howitzers, Recoiless Rifles, Mortars and Fuzes. Just look in the pubs index and you should find the info. Note: The 120mm round has a combustable casing and after it is fired, leaves only the base of the cartridge to be ejected from the bore.

Penatrator
I can tell you that my fired 120mm APFSDS-TP shell case is about 4" high, including the rubber gasket.
Everything from the gasket forward goes out the end of the barrel.

Bacarnal;

Thank you for the source, i am dowloading it now.

Tailgunner;

If you are able to measure the “exact” diameter of the case body, the base case diameter(The secondary part at the bottom where the primer integrated) and the length of the case, it makes my job pretty smooth.

Penetrator,

You may find this thread of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8352

If Tailgunner is away from his collection, I could post dimensions of the 120mm base stub later tonight if you need them.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the Forum.

Dave

Thank you DaveE. Yes It will be very nice for me if you can measure it. Again, I really appriciated.

Hi Penetrator

You can buy them in Germany for about $10,00

egun.de/market/item.php?id=2895410

Regards
Dutch

If you need more help, let me know and I will take some additional measurements for you.

Jason

[quote=“penetrator”]Tailgunner;

If you are able to measure the “exact” diameter of the case body, the base case diameter(The secondary part at the bottom where the primer integrated) and the length of the case, it makes my job pretty smooth.[/quote]

From my data list (dim’s in inches)
Length 3.104
Rim 6.625
Base 6.125
At “Mouth” 6.063

tailgunner i didnt understand length. The diameters are ok. but how length can be 3.104 inches??

Penetrator

[quote=“penetrator”]tailgunner i didnt understand length. The diameters are ok. but how length can be 3.104 inches??

Penetrator[/quote]

The “case” on the 120mm looks like an ashtray. Everything forward of the rubber gasket is either projectle or propelant.
From the auction link that “Dutch” provided.

That one has a longer “primer tube” than mine, but otherwise is the same.

Penetrator, The casing above the rubber gasket is what is considered consumable. I don’t know the exact composition, but it’s a mix of nitrocellulose, plasticizers and stiffeners for structural strength and stabilizers for the nitrocellulose. It all burns up when the round is fired leaving only the base, though having that primer tube sticking up like a spike in the turret seems a bit like an accident waiting to happen. What is that base off of since the tube would be too long for a HVAPDS or a HEAT? Is it off of the new cannister round or the dual purpose round?

Bruce–The primer tube on mine is the same as Tailgunner’s (about 12 inchs). The base is marked “CRTG 120MM TPCSDS-T M865”.

Concerning having that spike underfoot, it is my understanding that these stubs fall into a basket below floor level. Could be wrong as I have never seen the inside of a M1A1 tank, but that is what I was told.

That would be Target Practice, Cone Stabilized, Discarding Sabot,- Tracer M865, which now makes sense since the pointed end of the tube would fit inside of the cone.

As far as them falling in a basket, makes sense. I’ve only been inside of the turret once on a quick down and dirty of where the hazards are in case we had to download one if it became a casualty. Thank goodness that that training was never used.

Clarification:
The photo I posted is from the auction link that “Dutch” posted, it’s not mine.
Mine has a primer tube that is in the 1" range (well below the gasket) and is stencil marked “APFSDS-T” (Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot - Target ?)

Tailgunner–The “T” is for Tracer, not Target

Thanks, I’ll correct my notes

allright. I am now counting on what DaveE has given me as link and i am starting my term project according to these datas. I am really praying those numbers are crystal clear:)

Penetrator