12g shotshell "Standard № 12"

Who actually made it? It has that Winchester look, but I’d like to know for sure.

looked through Iverson & nothing with the Standard, as such under any of the three companies with Standard in the company name

It does have a Winchester look to me too, but only at 6 O’clock.
The lettering spacing and variances in the above font look to me to be hand done. two different "A"s, “S” is smaller than the “T”. The was the whole word is not centered above the No 12.

I could be wrong, just an impression. (not being said as a pun)

1 Like

Actually, I got 2 “Standards” from the same seller. Here they are, with a real Winchester in the 3rd spot.
I weighed them. The “Standard” is 23.42 grammes, and “Winchester” is 23.33 grammes, and Winchester has a primer.

Try this
put a straight edge against the left upright on the "N"o & see where it falls on the other side to get a position of those letters then do it to the other shell & see if it falls in exactly the same place. Be sure to be critical on the placement of the ruler on the N is at the exact same spot for each shell

When i do it on the computer screen I get different areas

1 Like

So you point is that “Standard” is hand-stamped after “№ 12”? Why would anyone bother with such a mondaine word? It is not a personal or family name but a lot of work.

Well Vlad, I have no idea why someone would spend their time & energy doing that. Perhaps to practice stamping?
Perhaps it was something from WRACo that walked out the door, Perhaps it was some sort of a Standard. They were being discarded & someone said, heck I can use them & took them home. Must be 1000 reasons. I was just pointing out that the name is not known from a known maker & that they were hand stamped.

Shotshells are pretty cool did you know there was a Parker shell with a backwards N, The so-called Russian Parker. Lots of goofy stuff happened & we will never know until someone invents a time machine.
814h

Still those you found are interesting & if you want to trade or sell one, please keep me in mind.

1 Like

Pete,
Superimposed the two and you can see the variations I have averaged the very minor difference in roundness and rotated on the best centre average I could pick. I used the outside diameter of the centre raised portion as the alignment aid.
You can see the No, the 1 and the T are almost perfect fits, then the S is out slightly diametrically but I would say within the bounds of the centres I “picked” rather than true dissections, the 2 is also showing the same type of error, then the A, N, D, A, R, & D all have very slight variations of differences in radial alignment. However overall the standard (no pun intended) is very constant if you believe it may have been hand stamped, then it is a pretty fair job.

1 Like

How did you superimpose 2 images?

By putting one on top of the other after making them both the same size, then reducing the translucency of the top image so the bottom one can be seen through it, simple as that!

Edit:-
I will add it is much easier with these as they come from the same source picture so they are as near identical as can be with out me playing with them, so just making the image to frame central was enough. Where I say one on top of the other I made that sound over simple they of course need to be centralised and to line up the numbers I then rotated then radially about the centre.

Operations in pictures, I hope that helps.

So This;

Plus =
Plus translucency =
Then rotate for alignment,
gives;

2 Likes

Hi mike

Looks like you can make high science problems sound easy!
😉😉

Good explanation with those pictures, thanks for that.

Regards René

Pretty neat Mike

Well Vlad, it appears these were not hand stamped, but that’s not much help with the ID. Sorry!

Interesting the “S” looks to be applied upside down to me. Any one else see that? Or have I had too much coffee?

1 Like

coffee

Pete,

When I was laying them out at first, I had that nagging feeling the “S” was possibly a different font and size, now you have said it could well be that it is up side down, well mentioned.

Well MR. SKS I think I just might be able to take care of that empty cup problem. & through the kindness of another who sent me the below we just might have an answer to your question.

“I think I might have read someplace that some of A.L. Howard’s shotshells were headstamped “STANDARD”. He was associated with Winchester for a short time, designed their shotshell loading equipment if I recall correctly. Did a few things on his own before going to Canada & with some other gentlemen started Dominion Cartridge Co., then went off to fight in the Boer War & got himself killed.”

He also thought the “S” looked upside down.

1 Like

Wow, Pete, thanks for the story. Never would have thought this to be connected to Dominion and Boer War!!! I’ll fill your coffee with whiskey next time in St.Lou.
From Wiki:
" Another major ancestor was the Dominion Cartridge Company , started at Brownsburg, Quebec (just west of Montreal) in 1886 by Captain A. L. (“Gat”) Howard, who introduced the Gatling gun into Canada and operated a battery of two of the new weapons during the Riel Rebellion."

Well that would be very nice but I’d really like a shot at obtaining the extra shell.

1 Like