13.2 TuF headstamp

Can anyone help shedding some light on this German 13.2 TuF cartridge headstamp?

I had heard from someone it may be 1935 headstamp, and that Germany had experimented with the 13.2 TuF round as a possible aircraft round pre war… is there any truth to this? I can’t seem to find info on this particular headstamp.

Jack762,

This is a 13X92 SR, A.P. Phosphor.
That is the meaning of the “Pf” in the head stamp.

Be careful with this round, the bullet could start leaking.

Rgds

A.P. Phosphor… what is the phosphorous for? A type of API? and is this WWI era?

Yes API. This cartridge used the same case as the WW1 AP.
I think it was used in the mid 1930, perhaps as an experiment because of the P M head stamp, I don’t know.

Rgds

Yes it is a phosphor bullet…

great, thank you! would love to know if it is from the mid 1930’s and what the story is behind them

The “Pf” marking does not mean “Phosphor” and is not related to the cartridge loading; they are the initials found in drawing numbers -a cartridge case in this example- used by Polte’s small arms ammunition branch until 1942, and you can find it in different experimental cartridges below 37 mm. This drawing number dates from c. 1933-35.

In my humble opinion “Pf” stands for Patronenfabrik, considering that Polte’s other line of business was the Armaturenfabrik (industrial valves, hydrants and similar equipment).

Can’t remember where or have any proof about that but I’m quite sure to read somewhere that Pf stand for “Polte forschung”… Hope this could help…

It clearly is a drawing number as can be seen here:

Of course it’s a drawing number but I believe that “pf” stand for “Polte forschung” which mean “Polte research”

As per German grammar it should be “PF” then.

Ok, you must know better than me this kind of grammar as I’m not speaking at all german, sorry. But Pf must stand for something as a number alone is enough to identify a drawing???

I know only one other cartridge with a “Pf” in the head stamp.
Could be a drawing number. I really don’t know.

Willem, great picture! That’s another example of a Polte drawing number (Pf 5705) on a 13 x 92 MG 132 from 1938.

Regards,

Fede

Willem, there is others too in I think 7.92x94. And sure there are more, I just do not remember them all.

There are also cases where the “Pf” was omitted then (for example on 13x94 dated 1939).

Wasn’t there a Polte list with lots of experimental cases listed where also plenty of thes numbers were given?

So this 13.2x94SR I have here is an experimental from the 1930’s? Is it quite rare?

Experimental yes but they were found at a former air force test range by the bucket.

Thanks, any idea what they were used for? or what weapon fired them? If it was an aircraft machine gun could it have been based on what the MG-18 TuF was supposed to be?

To what I understood there is no real solid info in terms of primary documents.
But researchers do assume it was along the line of the TuF MG.
The direct competitor to this was the later adopted MG131 in 13x64B.