13mm Pzb 38 training kit

Another bizarre request…

I’ve got a copy of a German training manual from 1939 that describes some sort of 13mm training device that was to be used on the Pzb 38. From what I can gather, the round featured a lighter projectile that permitted the rifle to be used on a shorter training range. Perhaps it was even aluminum? Does anyone have an example of this cartridge, or know if such an thing ever existed? I’ve never seen a photo of the kit and have no idea what to make of it.

No Bizarre request.

The bullet is 40 mm long and has a mass of 16.2 g (Aluminium core) or 13.3 g (core made of a Magnesium alloy called Magnewin). Muzzle velocity is given as 1210 m/s.
A tracer version (bullet has a black tip) also existed.

Thank you both very much. Am I right in assuming that this is a rare cartridge? I’ve only a seen a handful of references to the training kit, and have no photos or diagrams of the thing. I am guessing that its just barrel that swaps out, as there really isn’t anything else that would need to be changed.

Perhaps I make myself ridicules, but many years ago an old collector explained me were the code name Patr. 318 came from.

He told me it was a turn around of 813.
8mm for the life cartridge, and 13mm for the practice round.

Please don’t kill me.

Dutch

Willem, not all that weird because this was commonly used with squeeze bore projectiles where the 2 calibers were “merged” - defacto coded - this way.