13pr 9cwt

Hello,

On a primer of a of 13pr 9cwt cartridge case I found some marks of which I would like to know where they stand for.
Can somebody explain where the US in a circle stands for? United States?
Who is B.S.C.?

Thanks,
Mathias

Hi Mathias,

Yes US is United States. B.S.C. Bethlehem Steel Company made a lot ammunition during WWI for export to G.B.

Thanks a lot Western!

[quote=“Western”]Hi Mathias,

Yes US is United States. B.S.C. Bethlehem Steel Company made a lot ammunition during WWI for export to G.B.[/quote]

So, it is a British made cartridge case (Vickers, Sons and Maxim) with an American primer.

gravelbelly

The case is British for sure.
The primer and case could be assembled by a collector ?

I didn’t bought the cartridge cases from a collector, but of course somebody could have assembled them.
The primer is dated 7/16. Did the US already export ammunition to the UK in 1916, before they participated in the First World War? Is this type of primer typical British or did the US use the same type in their own ammunition?

The person I bought it from had two 13pr 9cwt cartridge cases for sale and I bought also the second one. Also VSM made and dated 1918, but this one has a “normal” British primer made by R /|\ L (Royal Laboratory, Woolwich Arsenal, Kent) and is dated 5/18.

I would think the USA was shipping ammunition the UK in 1916. I have an 18 Pounder case made in the USA in December 1915.

Howdy All,

Has anyone got any decent pictures of projectiles for the 13pdr 9cwt (GB or US)?

I believe there were HE & shrap, any other known?

Thanks,

Peter.

Britain went to war at the beginning of August 1914 and the first contracts for the supply of munitions were placed in the United States within one month. The initial contracts for the Pattern 14 rifle were signed with Remington and Winchester on 24th Novemebr 1914.

Between then and the entry of the US into the war in April 1917 there was a vast volume of all types of munitions produced for the British and Allies, small arms, artillery, shell, explosives, vehicles and most importantly the raw materials to make more.

In particular, huge numbers of 13 and 18Pdr cases were made in the US and can be frequently found here in the UK.

Regards
TonyE