14.5 x 114 Headstamp question

I have a steel 14.5 x 114 case stamped “41 83”. Painted dark brown. Can anyone tell me more?

Chinese?

That did cross my mind, as all Chinese date codes end in 1. Can anyone say for certain?

China (definately)

Yes, Chinese. Not all Chinese ammunition factory codes end in a “1”, There are more than a few that do not. But “41” is commonly seen on 12,7 and 14,5 cartridges made there.

AKMS

I guess somebody sneaked this out, as the Chinese seem to hang on to their ordnance. Is the specific factory that used the 41 code known?

The Chinese have been very liberal with the sale of their military arms and ammunition. Examples of Chinese made ammunition has turned up in Somalia, Iraq, Central America, Afghanistan and probably a dozen other countries. I do not beleive that factory “41” has been identified. Factory ID and location is one of the things the Chinese have managed to hang on to.

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”] Examples of Chinese made ammunition has turned up in Somalia, Iraq, Central America, Afghanistan and probably a dozen other countries.

AKMS[/quote]

Not to forget Albania and whole Africa.

Yes, exactly. I was referring to specimens I have personally or knowledge of.
No doubt that Chinese ammunition can be found worldwide, especially where there have been conflicts.

AKMS

I thought the Chinese were secretive. Do they supply anyone who is willing to pay?

Exactly

I now have this case in my posession, I will try to post a photo and a headstamp scan in the next few days for future research purposes.

• I have a Chinese made fired case 14.5X114 made of brown lacquered steel headstamped “41” over “83”. I also have 2 Chinese fired 14.5X114 brass cases, both manufactured by the same plant “41” with the dates “61” and “65”. All these headstamps mentioned above are raised. Liviu 03/02/07

• I have a Chinese made fired case 14.5X114 made of brown lacquered steel headstamped “41” over “83”. I also have 2 Chinese fired 14.5X114 brass cases, both manufactured by the same plant “41” with the dates “61” and “65”. All these headstamps mentioned above are raised. Liviu 03/02/07

Are those cases brass or brass washed steel?

AKMS

• The Chinese 14.5X114 fired shell cases I have dated 1961 and 1965 are made of brass. The one made in 1983 has the shell case made of brown painted steel. All have raised headstamps showing as the maker’s mark the factory “41”. Liviu 03/02/07

My chinese “41 83” is also brown painted steel with black primer annulus. I would post scans, but the scanner I got was an old one that my school were throwing out, and I can only find win98 software for it, which doesn’t work on my newer PC.

• Yes, you’re right, the Chinese made 14.5X114 steel cases [headstamped “41” over “83”] have a black primer annulus. I had 2 identical fired Chinese 14.5X114 steel cases [headstamped “41” over “83”] but I gave one to a friend. After the Gulf War in 1992 somebody did bring in USA from that area some fired 14.5X114 steel cases of Chinese and Romanian manufacture. The Romanian made 14.5X114 steel cases have the date of manufacture “83” and “85” with no maker’s mark at 12 o’clock position. Liviu 03/03/07

I got this case from a friend who bought it from a junk sale for

• Thanks, that would be nice. If you’re interested I can e-mail you my pictures showing headstamps for various fired 14.5X114 shell cases [Russian, Romanian, Chinese and Egyptian]. Liviu 03/04/07