14.5x114 Blanks and other loadings

aa

The paper-topped blank is the standard blank. In Europe they are around every now and then.
The Hungarians made even rose crimped ones and I think there were also some Russian ones made this way but I have never seen one.
Russian brass cased blanks are rather scarce.
Here some examples:

This one does not have a paper ball in the top just a roll crimp. It looks like all of yours have the ball type wad. Do you have the all red with purple tip ?

Then the paper is missing in yours (check inside the case, since the instruction plates are often hand made in depots the paper may have come off and slipped in).

The -BST- “APHCI-T” (all red, purple tip) I do not have yet nor I have ever seen it beside in Russian documents.
There was also a -BZKh- “APHCI-tear gas” (with irritant composition) which was all red and had a yellow tip. Basically it was a copy of the German “Patrone 318 7.92mm SmKHRs L’Spur” just without the tracer. As far as Russian sources tell it was only experimental during WWII.

I particularry like the early 14.5s for AT guns with the small primers. Do You know what date they started putting the large primers in these and the 12.7s.

I wonder if you have 14.5x114 with small primers? By the time the cartridge was put into service in 1941 small primers were not used anymore. If you have one with small primer it would be great to see an image of the head.

The 12.7mm got large primers in 1939.

The only other cartridge with a changed primer size is the 20x99R ShVAK, there small primers are used till 1939 and I assume 1940 they started using large ones (have no 1940 case, only 1938 and 1939 and then from 1941 up). The cases made till 1938 had the charge loaded in bags like the German 20x138B. From 1939 on they used only a glued in small powder bag for the primary charge and loose propellant. When the large primer was introduced I assume that also the small bags were deleted because the new primer had more energy and I never observed bags being contained in production after 1940.

It is worth to note that the Russians also made the 20x138B Rheinmetall cartridges for the 20mm Mod 30 AA gun they bought licences for from Rheinmetall in 1930. Only small quantities were made becasue the Russians had problems in manufacturing the gun.

The blank has a white paper wad in it not the ball top wad. I would like to see a Soviet 20mm Solothurn.

Rheinmetall you mean. Me too and I’m working on it.

[quote=“EOD”]
There was also a -BZKh- “APHCI-tear gas” (with irritant composition) which was all red and had a yellow tip. Basically it was a copy of the German “Patrone 318 7.92mm SmKHRs L’Spur” just without the tracer. As far as Russian sources tell it was only experimental during WWII.[/quote]

Hello EOD,

could you state please which Russian document you are referring to here?

I have never heared of any Soviet “BZKh” projectile and it woulkd be good to know the source for this info.

Thanks!
Chris

It was mentioned in several Russian gun magazines, which one and which edition I can’t tell anymore.