15.24 Krnka Commercial Austrian variant?

Hi,
Recently i sumit on question about four differents 58 Berdan from my collection.
Last week, i found one 5° model.
First, think found one variant for Spain , but the case is shorted, the cartridge more longest, and for weight, i not one important difference !!! .
I have not the ECRA ECDV program, but i have the 2 volums in paper from the book listing Minne-Regenstreiff Chenisse, ancestor of the log ECDV ( without pictures & draws).
My recent ammo corresponding exactly to 14.8 x 40.5r Improved Berdan-KrnKa Solid Case (15-041 CBC-010) given for made by austria for rifle .
The light bullet is certainly near Minnié model, the head is no magnetic.
But how to be sure … Mr Motz in his Tome 2 speak about one Austrian model commercial perhaps for the Balkan with same caractéristics, but without pic or draw .
If some friend can help …
Best Regards, Dan

1 Like

Daniel, I wonder where the caliber designation is coming from.
The 6-line Krnka is 15.24mm or when rounded correctly 15.2mm.
14.8mm is quite missleading to me and should not be applied.

1 Like

Hi, yes , im’ in accord with you perhaps 15.24 need to be used, but the old listing Chenisse use14.8 for this different improved CTG an it’s real mesure of the caliber …
Bsrg, Dan

Daniel. yes “transliteration” (i.e. conversion) of caliber designations seems to be an old issue with Russian “line” calibers. Same as the 4.2-line Berdan which is a 10.67mm. As you sure remember we saw all sort of other “interpretations”.

The 6-line Krnka:
It may be the “measurable diameter” as the true (and full caliber section) is inside the case.
I personally will propagate the 15.24 or 15.2 for the sake of not accepting former missinterpretations or even spreading them.

Yes, sure in same order of idea, long lead ball with type minnié permit use relative sub caliber because the long bullet and is additional capacity to expanse create good association with the barell of the weapon & conserve the regular pressure .
So, sure i think no gun was especially create for this 14,8 ammo, the standard caliber of the weapon is 15.24. Certainly the interest of theses ammo’s is because they can to be used in diverses weapons Krnka, conversions & perhaps olds Berdan n°1 & diverses 58 Berdans . My idéa it’s these ammos was créate for buisness by austrians not for russia especially, but perhaps for all diverses surplus weapons who are in second hand used in Balkan, bulgary turkey ?? etc … Certainly “discount” ammo.perhaps no secular buisness " affaire du siècle" (in french language) and no really current … . So we can certainly named these ammos 15.24 Krnka commercial variant , or 15.24 variant, and edit the tittle of the topic, i have no problem with this …
Initially i just hope obtain additional datas about these particular ammo…
Really sorry for bad practice of English/Us language, i try allways to not use Google translate perhaps one error :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Daniel, all good, I did not intend to criticize you (you know that anyway).
As you say, we shall keep it straight as the IAA should be the leading entity in such definitions (simply correct ones).

And your English (Google or not) is fine btw. ! :+1:

1 Like