15.24x40 R Krnka

I just encountered this round tonight on the net, never heard of it before. Can you guys clue me in? 15.24x40 R Krnka.

Thanks
Steve

Its cartridge for Krnka rifle model 1869.(Rus.-Винтовка Крнка обр. 1869 года)
I have only few cases and bullets dug in Ukraine.

If you can read Spanish:
http://www.municion.org/Krnka/60Krnka.htm

Domi

[quote=“domi”]If you can read Spanish:
http://www.municion.org/Krnka/60Krnka.htm
Domi[/quote]
English translation of above:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.municion.org%2FKrnka%2F60Krnka.htm

If you want to see Sylvestr Krnka himself, here is a link radio.cz/en/static/inventors/rifle

Thanks everyone for the info ,and the translation! Im guessing this is a rare cartridge?

Steve

Here is my example, on the right along with a round of 7.62x54R and a .42 Berdan.

Biggest use of the Krnka breechloader was the 1877-78 Russo-Turkish War, culminating in the Siege of Plevna ( Pleven), along with the Berdan I rifles by the Russians ( and some Romanian Peabodies) The Turks,holding the Strongpoint of Plevna, were armed with Peabody Martinis and Winchester M1866 Muskets. Several books written by American and Prussian Observers of the Seige note the very large quantities of ammunition used and captured during the battles of this War ( mentions of Millions of rounds of Romanian .45 ammo)

Large quantites of ammunition were discarded in local rivers and streams, and nowadays, dredging and metal detecting during drought periods are turning up good examples of many calibres of cartridges from the gravel and sand.
Samples seen so far are Peabody cartridges ( Romanian and Turk), Winchester .44RF, Krnka and Berdan cartridges. SOme other, less common cartridges are the .577 Turkish Snider and some revolver cartridges.

regards,
Doc AV

A couple more Krnka’s.

[/img]

Great info and pictures!

Steve

How much do these rounds usually cost when you can find them?

Steve

[quote=“Mechanik”]Its cartridge for Krnka rifle model 1869.(Rus.-Винтовка Крнка обр. 1869 года)
I have only few cases and bullets dug in Ukraine.

[/quote]

Any idea why there were there ?

[quote=“DocAV”]Biggest use of the Krnka breechloader was the 1877-78 Russo-Turkish War, culminating in the Siege of Plevna ( Pleven), along with the Berdan I rifles by the Russians ( and some Romanian Peabodies) The Turks,holding the Strongpoint of Plevna, were armed with Peabody Martinis and Winchester M1866 Muskets. Several books written by American and Prussian Observers of the Seige note the very large quantities of ammunition used and captured during the battles of this War ( mentions of Millions of rounds of Romanian .45 ammo)

Large quantites of ammunition were discarded in local rivers and streams, and nowadays, dredging and metal detecting during drought periods are turning up good examples of many calibres of cartridges from the gravel and sand.
Samples seen so far are Peabody cartridges ( Romanian and Turk), Winchester .44RF, Krnka and Berdan cartridges. SOme other, less common cartridges are the .577 Turkish Snider and some revolver cartridges.

regards,
Doc AV[/quote]

Where are you seeing these recovered shells ?

Over on Gunboards, one of the Bulgarian collectors (Mannlicher, BP etc.Board)
has found some in the creek and river beds around Plevna, and shown pix of them.

Doc AV

new to the site, thought i’d contribute this. my Krnka cartridge i picked up in plovdiv, where the Battle of Philippopolis in 1878 was.

not the greatest photos but

made at Vasilievskii Case-Making Department in St. Petersburg located on the Vasilievskii Island in 1873

Thanks cyten. Your photos are fine, and the headstamp photo is nicely legible.

Thanks for making your first post here, and welcome aboard!

SteveF

You asked about price, in our sale 6 lot 364, one sold for $450.00 + buyer premium.

At the last ECRA show there were some for 70-100 Euro if I recall it right.

NICE!

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]SteveF

You asked about price, in our sale 6 lot 364, one sold for $450.00 + buyer premium.[/quote][quote=“EOD”]At the last ECRA show there were some for 70-100 Euro if I recall it right.[/quote]

wow, im very new to cartridge collecting, but i didnt know i got THAT good of a deal