15 cm Swiss Projectile

I like to show you a nice Swiss 15 cm Projectile
It is a steel projectile model Inert (dummy)
weight is 50 kg

Gyrojet, it is a HE shell, “steel projectile” does not translate to English.

What weapon system is this projectile used with?

EOD : StG is in German (Stahl granate) that means Steel shell in my translation !! and HE means High Explosive ??

Falcon the weapon system fo these in a bunker

[quote=“gyrojet”]EOD : StG is in German (Stahl granate) that means Steel shell in my translation !! and HE means High Explosive ??
[/quote]

Gyrojet, yes, but Swiss is not German and “direct” translations are the death of every interpretor.

So a Swiss “Stahlgranate” will be a HE-Shell.

Falcon, as it says on the shell the gun is a “15cm Haubitze 42”, means a 150mm Howitzer Model 1942.

So this is a permanently fixed defensive gun inside fortifications. Where were the photos taken?

Gyro, AWESOME pics of a beautiful round. Gotta love seeing the big stuff :-) That round looks to be in mint condition. What a find!

Jason

Jason, this one is an inert loaded instructional shell which is except for the explosives a 100% copy of the original (not a dummy!). Note the stencilled markings “MODELL INERTE”.
After weapon systems are getting phased out the inert and dummy stuff is getting sold by the Swiss Government. Many of these items are in brand new condition.

WOW! Thanks EOD! Amazing how nice they are. To bad they are not common in the US. A real beauty. The one pictured with the gun system appears to have slightly different paint schematic and driving band, guessing their were a few different mods?

Jason

Nice looking projectile. Looks very much like the the 6"/47 or 5"/54 bullets.

I’d guess that the set-up shown has little or nothing to do with a howitzer, unless the Swiss definition of a howitzer is different than we normally associate with that word.

The mount appears to be a mock-up, for display purposes only. And possibly the gun too.

But pretty none-the-less. Thanks for sharing it with us EOD.

Ray

Gyro, you always post some of the coolest large bore ammunition photos. The shows you go to in your neck of the woods are amazing.

Jason

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Nice looking projectile. Looks very much like the the 6"/47 or 5"/54 bullets.

I’d guess that the set-up shown has little or nothing to do with a howitzer, unless the Swiss definition of a howitzer is different than we normally associate with that word.

The mount appears to be a mock-up, for display purposes only. And possibly the gun too.

But pretty none-the-less. Thanks for sharing it with us EOD.

Ray[/quote]

The shell in fact is a howitzer shell since the shells for guns have 2 driving bands (can also be seen in the gun images). Simply means the guns shown above are not those for this shell.
The piece in the images is the “gun” as used in fortresses. No need to have mock ups, Switzerland has plenty of bunker museums with 100% of it’s equipment still inside.
Actually Gyrojet shared the images with us, not me.

EOD

That’s what I meant. The projectile first shown does not go with the gun set-up in the later photo.

What I meant by mock-up is that several things have been changed to make the display look good.

Ray