15 mm Revolver C.F. shot dummy

Just received this ( at least to me) interesting dummy round in perfect conditions.
Headstamp is GG ( monogram) 15 M/M

Was it a board dummy?

yes

The GG indicates: Gevelot & Gaupillat

Here is a half and 3/4 charge 15mm pinfire dummy also by SFM with the same holes.

Many thanks

You can tell these Board Dummies from just a normal action proving dummy by the number of holes. The big hole identifies it as a dummy. The other holes are for attaching the round to a cartridge dispaly with wire.

Philippe Regenstreif once told me that in some calibers made in France, Board dummies, which should be fairly scarce, were more common than live rounds. From my own collection of French auto pistol rounds, I tend to agree with that.

John, so then how many holes = board dummy, and how many = action proving dummy?

I have ones, mainly by SFM, with 5,4,3,2 and 1 holes, some with big holes some with small holes some with both?

I wasn’t at all clear in my answer. There is no set number of holes for either. True dummy rounds made for instruction, action proving, etc., follow many different patterns country to country, The same for display dummies not meant to be attached to a board. Some have no holes, but rather multiple cannelures, flutes in the case, or simply no primer. Some have as many as four holes in the case. It is really the pattern of the wholes on your cartridge that tells us almost immediately it is a Board Dummy. Again, one single large hole for identity as an inert item, and then the other two sets of holes each made for an attaching wire.

I have seen a board dummy with only the attaching wire holes, and no central one, as well as cartridges I know were on boards, but only have one hole in the case because they were attached with a screw. I have one board where there may be no holes, since the cartridges are glued to the board with some sort of epoxy.

Your cartridge, is, though, the typical style of French Board Dummies, and that is not to say you could find some with a different hole pattern; again, it is TYPICAL of French ones, though.

I’m fairly certain that there is no such thing as “typical” anymore…

Click for HUGE version…

First row, "g over 7"
second row, “7” by SFM
third row, "g over 7"
4th row, row, “7” by SFM
5th row, left to right:
Sellier and bellot, Sellier and bellot, “raised large 7”, rws, V.F.M, kynoch, braun & bloem, “bunch of stars”, eley, eley,
6th row, left to right,
rws, rws

You are looking at one caliber only. Even in the wonderful collection shown, the pattern of a large hole in the center and two pairs of wire-mounting holes, shows up enough that I would use the term “typical” for them. You find the same pattern on almost all calibers of auto pistol cartridges from France. Of course, it is all in the view of the individual what percentage of cartridges of any given variation encountered would constitute “typical.”

Of those shown in the picture, I would not classify them all as Board Dummies, until identical specimens were encountered on boards. As I mentioned, a single-hole dummy CAN be a board dummy if they are attached on factory-made boards by glue or a single screw. Some of those are probably just educational dummy or drill cartridges (practice loading, etc) and in any collection inerted live rounds sneak into the dummy category, as it is impossible with almost the destruction of the cartridge to tell if a cartridge which has nothing more than a hole in the side for identification is a factory dummy or just a round inerted by an individual for his own purposes, especially if the hole is large enough to remove powder through it.

The only realistic way to inert a pinfire is by drilling, its not without its risks though and should carry a health warning.