152mm beehive?

does anyone have a photo of a complete or cross section of a 152MM beehive round for a Sheridan tank?

TrevorK–Here is a quote from EODGUY on BOCN Forum. As noted at the bottom, there is .JPG of the XM617 Beehive round, but you have to be a registered user to view it.

I don’t know about any warning given to friendly troops before a Beehive round was fired. Never was around when one was fired. I just got called in after the fact to clear ordnance from the pin cushions that used to be bodies. There were two loadings of flechettes in the 152mm Sheridan combustible cased round. The XM625 Canister which had a flat nosed cylindrical projectile that contained 9,400 of the 13 gr. flechettes, packed in 5 layers. The round weighed 48 pounds with 41.8 pounds of that being the projectile. Overall length was 19.3 inches. The combustible cartridge case was the XM157, with 6 pounds of either the M26 or M26A1 propellant charge and the XM91E1 electric primer.
The other round was the XM617 and I have attached some photos of my cutaway. It had the same weights, but was 27 inches long. It contained about 8,000 of the 13 gr. flechettes. The XM618 projectile had an aluminum body with a sintered iron rotating band. There was also a tracer present. It used the XM599 mechanical time fuze and it was issued set for muzzle action (MA on the fuze body), meaning it functioned immediately in front of the weapon. It could be set for distance functioning from 200 meters to about 3,800 meters. If set for distance points, the fuze would function about 137 meters prior to the setting distance, which provided the optimum payload dispersion distance for the payload of flechettes at the set distance. Set at muzzle action the round produced arc widths ranging from 7 meters at 50 meters from the muzzle to 40 meters at 300 meters from the muzzle. On distance settings arc widths of 18 meters at the near edge of the taget to 59 meters at 300 meters from the near edge of the target. This pattern was the same from ranges of 200 meters out to maximum range. The case, propellant charge and primer were the same as the XM625.

152mm XM617 3.jpg152mm XM617.jpg152mm XM617 2.jpg

This document is quite informative:

dtic.mil/ndia/2007global_dem … 5Smith.pdf

Here is a drawing of the APERS-T XM617 beehive type round:

thanks guys!

Both as displayed at my display at SLICS ‘13

(I call these 155 mm…is that correct ?)…so not sure this fit’s your “152” quest

[/URL]

[/URL]

Beyond beautiful specimens, Pepper!

J

Pepper !

That is the BIGGEST flechette round that I have seen.

And you have one…no two

There must be an interesting story on how you acquired this round.

WOW !!

Glenn

Pepper, your 155mm is correct as you have the howitzer projectiles.
The 152mm questioned initially are for the tank gun of the M551 Sheridan a light airborne tank (also used in Vietnam).
It was one of the first weapon platforms that where firing bore launched anti tank guided missiles (the Shillelagh).

Here a bit of info:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M551_Sheridan

Big…here’s a few Sunday morning additions

Now here’s a “big boy”

[/URL]
133/60 mm U.S. Experimental Anti Aircraft Projectile; circa 1948-49
Stampings; 133 MM. T3; PROOF PROJECTILE; LOT NO. F.A.-E- 271 8; PROJ. NO. 13
WT. W/O SABOT – 14.11; WT. WITH SABOT – 19.40; C.G.W/O SABOT 18.24 INCHES

[/URL]
2.75 Hydra Rocket

[/URL]
90 m/m (self sectioned)

[/URL]
[/URL]
AGR – 14 ZAP (1967-71); Zero Anti-Aircraft Potential
4 “packets” formed circle @ greater than 10 lbs per packet
NOTE density of the flechette pack & the “primitive” wood end caps

AMAZING specimens, Pepper!~ WOW! Gotta love that giant flechette :-) I have my eyes open looking for the sabot petals for you. The sectioned rounds are just beautifully done.

J

love the pics!! wow i’d love to have one of them shells. very devastating. closest I got is a guy selling little baggies of about 20 for $5 in the shotgun size.
I imagine all those shells would be banned from combat use?