1903 .30" Springfield, all brass Cartridge Clips

Amongst my clips and chargers collection I have a few Springfield types, some brass, some steel and some with one part brass and the other steel. Usually they have the little tongues to stop the end rounds from spilling out and the drill/training ones are without these tongues. The method of locking the spring to the frame is mostly via recesses in the ends of the frame and less commonly via holes punched in the frame. Recently I spotted an auction of eight clips on ebay with the following description:-

“1903 Springfield all brass Cartridge Clips. These rare clips are the Type 5 with Ashworth Improved End Locking Springs. The Type 5 clip design was adopted shortly after World War 1. This new and improved design was never placed into full production due to the millions of World War 1 Type 3 and 4 clips already on hand. These all brass clips were short lived due to shortages of brass. A Type 5 clip was produced with a tin insert before World War 2. When the war broke out an all tin Type 6 clip was introduced.”

What I want to know is what are the design differences between these types 1 to 6 clips? Photos or drawings would be much appreciated. The photos of the clips being auctioned didn’t show anything special as far as I could see but then most stuff on ebay is “super rare”. These all-brass clips with the end-locking spring are the most common type to turn up in the UK, usually with 1930-33 ball M1 cartridges as sent over for the Home Guard. I presume that the seller means thin steel sheet when he says “tin”.

gravelbelly

gravel

That description is full of holes and could be nothing more than e-bayese, as you said. But, I’ve been known to be wrong before and I too would like to hear from the experts on stripper clips.

Ray

According to the Brophy book, The Springfield 1903 Rifles page 326. There was an Ashworth clip invented by William D. Ashworth, Foreman, Double Action Press Shop, Frankford Arsenal. According to a statement by Ashworth himself this was the clip used during WW-1. According to the description The “improvment” was nothing more than the V shape of the “spring” which I read is what they called the inner insert of ALL the stripper clips and the fact that the Ashworth spring was formed straight as apposed to the clip body being curved made the tension much more when it was installed in the body. Would guess that these clips are not too rare.