1917 Incendiary Dummy?

Found this while pulling rounds for sectioning. Can not find any references to a FA/18 1917 incendiary dummy. The case is clean inside with a circular crimped primer (can not tell if live or not), and no powder just a wooden dowel. The bullet jacket has no lead, trefoil, phosphorous, or solder at the base or in the weep hole. Is this real or a made up round? Thanks kevin

KEVIN

MY SHORT ANSWER IS, YOUR CARTRIDGE IS A LEGITIMATE DUMMY. I SUSPECT THAT FRANKFORD ARSENAL PRODUCED DUMMY ROUNDS OF EVERYTHING THEY MANUFACTURED FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS; TO ILLUSTRATE WHAT THE CARTRIDGE LOOKED LIKE, TO TEST THE FUNCTION OF THE WEAPONS THEY WERE INTENDED TO BE USED IN, THE COMMANDING OFFICER WANTED A BOX FOR HIS OFFICE TO HAND OUT TO VISITING DIGNITARIES, ETC. CHANCES ARE, IF THE CARTRIDGE IN QUESTION WAS NOT PRODUCED IN A LARGE QUANTITY FOR OFFICIAL PURPOSES, THERE WAS NO ENTRY MADE IN THE OFFICIAL RECORDS.

THE FACT THAT THERE WERE NO OUTWARD SIGNS THAT THE CARTRIDGE WAS A DUMMY MEANS VERY LITTLE. DURING MY YEARS OF COLLECTING I’VE ENCOUNTERED NUMEROUS DUMMY CARTRIDGES, BOTH GOVERNMENT ARSENAL AND COMMERCIAL, THAT APPEARED TO BE LOADED ROUNDS UNTIL THEY WERE DISSEMBLED. LAST YEAR AT ST. LOUIS I BOUGHT A HANDFUL OF POLISHED AND LACQUERED PETERS CARTRIDGES WITH NO OUTWARD SIGNS THAT THEY WERE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE RESULT OF SOME COLLECTORS EFFORTS TO MAKE ALL OF HIS CARTRIDGES LOOK THE SAME. WHEN I RETURNED HOME, I PULLED THE BULLETS ON ALL 5 CARTRIDGES AND DISCOVERED THAT THEY HAD NO POWDER, NOR EVIDENCE OF HAVING EVER BEEN LOADED. FURTHER INVESTIGATION REVEALED THAT NONE OF THE PRIMER CUPS HAD ANVILS. AS ALL THE CASES HAD BULLET SEATING CANNELURES THEY NEEDED NO WOOD DISTANCE PIECE. MY CONCLUSION, THEY WERE AT ONE TIME PART OF A SALESMAN’S SAMPLE SET.

THE FOLLOWING IS AN IMAGINED THEORY TO EXPLAIN YOUR MODEL 1917 INCENDIARY DUMMY CARTRIDGE. THE CARTRIDGE SHOP FORMAN WALKS UP TO HIS FAVORITE WORKMAN AND SAYS, “THE BOSS IS GOING TO A PARTY THIS WEEKEND AT THE CONGRESSMAN’S HOUSE AND WANTS SOME DUMMY CARTRIDGES OF THE NEW INCENDIARY ROUND TO SHOW HIM. THE CONGRESSMAN IS AN IMPORTANT VOTE FOR NEXT YEARS FUNDING SO MAKE THEM LOOK REAL. DON’T FORGET TO PUT THEM UP IN A BOX WITH A LABEL.”

DON’T LIKE MY STORY, MAKE UP YOUR OWN. BY THE WAY, A GREAT FIND, HOPE THE ONE I BOUGHT LAST WEEK TURNS OUT TO BE ITS TWIN!

GWB - can’t you please refrain from typing your posts in all-caps?

Yes, that kind of brought back bad memories of “He who must not be named”!

WHO WOULD THAT BE???

GWB can answer for hisself but don’t be too quick to judge. A good friend was injured in an auto accident and has no feeling in the right side of his body. He types with one finger of his left hand and using all caps makes the job easier. But, you should see him re-load ammunition with one hand. He’s faster than me!

Ray

I LIKE THE CAPS. EASIER TO READ WITH OLD EYES ;)
BY THE WAY. NICE FIND.

GWB, offers excellent information & considerable knowledge with his posts, I vote we offer him an a free pass on whatever he posts as to however he want to do it. He may even be a left handed gentleman !

Yes great round. That is a typical / normal 1917 INC. bullet jacket without the guts.

Pete, I second the vote.
Ray, “He who must not be named” may also be a reference to my long last name, remember, I may still be on probation.

No, Vlad, you’re ok now.

Vlad, nothing to do with your last or your first name as to being associated with the one “who must not be named”, believe me.