Those of us who collect Match and other Competition cartridges (you are one, right?), know that 1930 was one special year. No less than 6 very collectable cartridges were manufactured, all by Frankford Arsenal.
In 1930 a new non-corrosive primer was used in match ammunition for the first time. The chemical composition of the pellet was such that more mixture was required than the Boxer cup could hold and so Frankford turned to a Berdan type cup and anvil to accomodate it. They manufactured 3 cartridges with the new primer, National Match, International Match, and Palma Match. All three were headstamped FA 30 R. Except for the International Match, which held less powder, there is no way to tell one from the other once they are removed from the box.
During preliminary firing, the National Match and Palma Match exhibited exceptional accuracy but appeared to develop high pressures. In the interest of safety they were withdrawn and replaced with cartridges having a conventional primer, headstamped FA 30. To help further identify them they were labeled as Special Match and Palma Special. Since the International Match was loaded to a lower velocity it did not have the high pressure problems.
In addition to the 5 cartridges, Frankford Arsenal also produced 150,000 unprimed cases to be sold through the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) to shooters wishing to handload their own match ammunition for practice. These cases are all headstamped FA 30. Boxes of 172 grain M1 bullets were also sold directly to shooters.