1942 MK VII .303 British Original box of 48

This is my first post so be gentle. Dad was a WWII vet and after he passed away, I boxed up his items for the past ten years. Yesterday I opened the box and found this brown cardboard box full of cartridges in mint condition…they’ve never been out of the box. The brown paper wrapper has green ink on it and the following is written: H.2107; 48; CARTRIDGES;.303 INCH MK VII; then there’s a tripod-like symbol and then the last line is I.S.A.A. The headstamp reads: 1942 RG VII. Can anyone please tell me what this box might be worth and is there any interest in purchasing it? Thanks.
2eagles

As an intact box its definitely collectable but don’t expect to retire on the proceeds. The tripod symbol is called the broad arrow and is the British Government symbol. You find it everywhere.

As Vince says, nice to have a complete box but not worth a fortune. This is regular WW2 ball ammunition made at ROF Roadway Green in 1942.

ISAA is Inspector of Small Arms Ammunition.

Regards
TonyE

Vince & Tony,
Thanks for your information. If I were to sell it, would you recommend going to the local gun show or try to sell it online?
2eagles

It is worth more to you than someone else. You could be disapointed as to its value

just to give you an idea: there is currently an auction in Holland where some full World War II .303 boxes are up for offer.
Starting between USD 45 and USD 60. But till now nobody has placed a first bid.

There is probably still surplus ammo virtually this old being sold somewhere. Its only desirable because its a full box but its value is no more than surplus unfortunately.

[quote=“VinceGreen”]There is probably still surplus ammo virtually this old being sold somewhere. Its only desirable because its a full box but its value is no more than surplus unfortunately.[/quote]Yes, it is still sold as surplus shooting ammo, but most of the ball is WRA 1942. The RG (and the rest) is tracer, AP, etc etc.
Soren

[quote=“mausernut”][quote=“VinceGreen”]There is probably still surplus ammo virtually this old being sold somewhere. Its only desirable because its a full box but its value is no more than surplus unfortunately.[/quote]Yes, it is still sold as surplus shooting ammo, but most of the ball is WRA 1942. The RG (and the rest) is tracer, AP, etc etc.
Soren[/quote]

But it would be very unwise to shoot the WRA 1942, it is corrosive and the powder is unstable. I have pulled hundreds of these and most were corroding the case from the inside, some cases break in the kinetic bullet puller.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”][quote=“mausernut”][quote=“VinceGreen”]There is probably still surplus ammo virtually this old being sold somewhere. Its only desirable because its a full box but its value is no more than surplus unfortunately.[/quote]Yes, it is still sold as surplus shooting ammo, but most of the ball is WRA 1942. The RG (and the rest) is tracer, AP, etc etc.
Soren[/quote]But it would be very unwise to shoot the WRA 1942, it is corrosive and the powder is unstable. I have pulled hundreds of these and most were corroding the case from the inside, some cases break in the kinetic bullet puller.
gravelbelly[/quote]Yours must have a bad powder lot, the few I have shot were fine, except the velocities were all over the place and not good for competition.
Soren

All of the WRA .303" ammo 41-42 vintage was non corrosive.