1943 1954 105mm cartridge case?

HELLO, I HAVE 2 105MM CARTRIDGE CASES THAT HAVE HALF CIRCLES CUT OUT OF THE TOP OF THE CASE. ONE IS DATED 1943 AND THE OTHER IS DATED 1954. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I HAVE COME ACROSS THIS TYPE OF CASE. CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY MAY HAVE BEEN USED FOR. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

I assume these are standard U.S. M14 series cases. If so, I have seen several turn up in the Reno, NV area with semi-circular notches cut in several seemingly random spots on the mouth of the case. Each is about 5/8" diameter and maybe 3/8" deep. All the cases looked like they had been acid cleaned, as I recall. I wondered what they were but have no explanation. They seem to have come out of some surplus sale in the region.

There was an earlier thread about UK made cases with somewhat similar notches that were related to a metal cap for the mouth of the case, but these seem too randomly oriented to be that.

YES, AND THIS ONE DID COME FROM RENO. SO ONE ELSE SAID THAT IT WAS NOTCHED BECAUSE IT HAD BEEN RELOADED DURING WWII. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Could it have been the way one disposal unit used to render the cases “demilitarized” (unserviceable) for use other than scrap metal?

SOME ONE E-MAILED ME AND SAID THAT IT WAS A MARK THAT IT HAD BEEN RELOADED AT SOMETIME. IF ANY ONE HAS OR KNOWS OF A DOC THAT PROVES THIS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT.