1953 105mm shell

Hello im not new to collecting military stuff but this is my first shell looking to get some info . there is some writing on the bottom that i have but im at work so i will post it later , the looks to be some old white writing on the bottom but can not make it all out if any one haqs any info on this ( like worth ect…) would like to know … i want to see its worth . if it is not worth alot i may just restore it for a cool peice in the colection . would like to see pictures of it “out of the box” so i know what the colors and look where

Very nice! Thanks for posting the photos. I can not ID it but I am sure someone here will.

Jason
PS: Welcome to the forum!

Since the projectile does not have a driving band and the case appears to be steel without a primer, I would not spend a lot of time restoring it. Its value is minimal. Bill

Gordo

Looks like the projectile is of the M67 HEAT variety. The case, most likely, of the M14 family. In that condition, a good bath in rust remover, a little sanding, and some paint would help the price some, but might require more elbow grease than it’s worth. The only way to get a true value is to post it on an auction site. Of course, you’ll have to part with it. I would consider up to $50, but I don’t collect them, so whatta I know. Might be rare to somebody else.

Rick

The projectile is not often seen as far as I can say for Europe. Certainly a good one, even if the driving band is missing.

As Bill said, it’s not worth a lot of money or effort, but what else do you have to do? Some course steel wool, a can of penetrating oil, and a couple of cans of spray paint will do wonders. Every old artillery case and projectile deserves to be dressed up a little. If nothing else, they will make a door stop that your friends and neighbors will envy.

And don’t let Slick’s modesty fool you. He’s smarter than he let’s on, and a lot smarter than he looks.

Paint the case and where the rotating band was a brass or copper color. Paint the rest of the projectile black or a deep sky blue.

Ray

The case is the common 105mm M14B1. The M14 was made of brass, but he M14B1 was made from steel. There are several other variations as well. These were originally painted with a semi-transparent dark brown color (lacquer?) to protect the steel from rust, and to make them less reflective to attract attention in the field. The maker and date were stamped in small markings beneath the primer (witht he 105mm M14B1 considered to be the “top.”) The actual load designation for the complete round was stenciled in white on the base of the case in letters about 3/8 or 1/2" high, with the type and also the lot number assigned by the place that loaded it.

Although not a very valuable item, it is still neat, and you can do whatever you like to clean it up and “restore” it to more or less original appearance.

I hope you found the excellent “Introduction to Collecting Artillery Shells & Shell Cases” on the main IAA web site:
http://cartridgecollectors.org/introtoartyammo/introtoarty.htm

Raaaay!

Thanks for all the reply …What color (if any ) would have the projectile been when new . I’m going to restore it to be a center piece to my “war” room

I think I may be addicted to shells now

Probably O.D.

Look here.

usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/10 … ition.html