1960 7.5 Swiss revolver - Blackpowder?

I inerted a 7.5 Swiss revolver round at SLICS so that it could be shipped back to the UK and I am pretty sure it contained black powder. Why was there a need for a black powder load in 1960? My example is headstamped “5 D T 60”. However, the inside of the case may just be badly corroded and appeard to have held BP, I will check again tomorrow.

Thanks for any info.

If the cartridge was loaded with black powder as propellant it would almost certainly have completely filled the available space below the bullet. Black powder is irregularly granular. If a smokeless powder was used probably no more than half the available space would have been filled, possibly less, and the powder itself would likely have been of particles of uniform shape, probably discs or square flakes. If the propellant was indeed black powder I can’t say why, but regulations is regulations. Jack

I pulled this round at SLICS so I can’t remember exactly what the propellant looked like. I also pulled so many that I probably didn’t take much notice of it. However I do recall at the time thinking it was odd that it was black powder loaded.

Falcon: It would be nice if someone on this forum had an extra he’d be willing to break down for a look. It seems unlikely the Swiss government would have used black powder this late, but it is a black powder round in its origins. In the U.S. black powder loadings of various revolver cartridges were available until the Second World War. Jack

They used exactly the same powder to load the 7.5 Swiss Revolver rounds until the end of production I believe.

I’m off to do some more research and check my files.
A friend wants to buy one and I have some Starline 32-20 to check out for reforming to 7.5 Swiss .

From The Swiss Rifles Message Board:
theswissriflesdotcommessageboard … -ammo.html

[color=#008040]"Yup I can tell you, they never stopped loading these with - as they call it- black powder Nr.1 and I think the last lot was made in 1972 or so , only the Fiocchi made civilian ones have a different load, that is why many find those too hot for these old guns.

Guisan. "[/color]

Glenn

Actually I can see the logic in this. The Revolver was obsolete by 1903 and wasn’t the strongest looking design although well made so its just as likely they continued on the way they always had with good old blackpowder. Its only in the .32 class and if they were still in use long after that date it would presumably only beeen as a trainer. Perhaps they felt it wasn’t worth the effort of getting all the revolvers reproofed.

COTW says Norma made a smokeless load for the civilian version of the Swedish varient but I would imagine cost would have been an issue.