1963 7.62mm Match box

I got this because a big shot match ammo expert :) told me something unusual and irregular about this box’s dating. Anyone cares to guess what it is? I of course had no idea too.

Lake City started production of 7.62mm XM 118 Match ammunition in 1964 not 1963?

Brian

PS: According to Ray’s (match ammo expert) excellent posts/articles on the subject; and if I read everything correctly:-)!

You got everything right, congrats!!! Now, a question from me. These are sealed boxes, which year would I see on the headstamp if I opened a box? There were 3 loose 1964 rounds in a small plastic bag next to these boxes in the main auction box.

Two possible headstamps: LC 64 NM or LC 64 MATCH?

I un-sealed a homemade seal of a partially open box and found this inside.

Vlad

I keep very meticulous records of Match lot numbers, dates, and headstamps. You are not helping!

Lot 12017 should be 1964 production, which the headstamp verifies. But, it should not be in a carton dated 1963. Especially since lots 12015 and 12018 are in 1964 cartons. Lot 12016 is in a 1963 carton but I’ve not seen a headstamp of it. I’ll assume it was headstamped LC 64 MATCH - until you find a carton to prove me wrong again. ;-)

Brian

The production of M118 Match began at LC in 1963. The first of the “Camp Perry” Match was in 1964 and was headstamped LC 64 NM.

Studying the lot numbers, headstamps, and cartons of Match ammunition is a very interesting collecting specialty. It’s why I always try to carefully open cartons, verify headstamps, and pull a bullet to see what is inside. Just when I think I’ve seen everything, something will come along to throw a monkey-wrench into my records.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for the correction.

So to review, LC did produce the XM 118 match round in 1963.

Vlad’s 1963 dated box contains LC 64 MATCH headstamped rounds.

But, as he indicates, the box was partially opened so the 1964 dated round(s) may not be (are not) original to this 1963 dated box.

Brian

Yes, LC produced XM118 Match starting in 1963 with lot 12000.

I believe Vlad said that he carefully opened one of the boxes.

Lot 12015 is headstamped '64 and the carton is likewise dated 1964. Apparantly, LC must have decided to use up some remaining 1963 cartons at the beginning of the year. That is not unusual. I have recorded many examples of headstamps being out of time with carton dates and lot numbers. Some by as much as 3 years. The Ordnance Plants did not put any special significance on headstamps and cartons. Almost all production data was recorded by lot number.

Ray

I have 4 identical boxes, 2 are virginal, totally untouched, 2 were pried open on top so one can see/remove 3-4 rounds. I opened both previously opened and found the same headstamp on all rounds. I looked deeper where one can see headstamps but not remove rounds because the top/lid of the box needs to be pried open even more to remove them. They are also 1964. I compute :) a high degree of possibility that all 4 boxes are headstamped 1964.

Just my grain of salt

I remember (still have the documents) loading DoD Match boxes in 2001 with 03 headstamps.
Maybe things are not always what they look like

Galep

Do you remember the details? The last U.S. Match ammunition was manufactured in 1996. Could they have been re-packs or ??? Possibly contract ammunition for Special Ops or others?? Something like this?

Ray

@Ray
Yes I have all the details, my Lot, was made for a Major defence company in 2001 on 7.62mm NM drawing.
Transfer papers say 03 and I still have 600 fires cases from the testing, caseheads was 03.
But where they go I would not know.
Maybe the cases where made in advance for a 2003 researcher project?
I am not an expert in production from the Major but a lot of works is not made in-house until it goes to the production line.
I have seen for sale on the web, 7.62 Match Ammo lot’s description that where never in production.()
On my side of the border I would not be surprise to find as per ex: 64 casehead in a 63 box.
Or a 1997 brass load in 2014…

Galep

At one time, not too long ago, “Match” had a special meaning when used to describe ammunition. But that has changed considerably, as many manufacturers have taken to using the “match” label on otherwise ordinary ammunition. It’s all about sales, and anything that will promote sales is fair game.

I collect the U.S. military Match ammunition, which has not been produced since 1996. But I also try to keep up with today’s crop of “match” ammunition even though I don’t try to collect it, except for something unusual that may catch my eye.

So, I’d be interested in hearing any of the details that you may want to share.

Ray

Ray, like this one?

Vlad

Yes, like that one. Hornady loads some legitimate match ammunition but that isn’t one of them. I’m sure the TAP ammo is high quality and maybe worth the price but it’s not Match quality.

But, really, I’m talking about that box of .32 ACP Match from Lugashistan, or the 7.62x54 Supreme Ultra Match for the Mosin sniper rifles.

Stuff like that. :-)

Ray