1963 LC XM 118 7.62 MM Match Ammunition - Need help identifying history

I have a full can (460 rounds) of 1963 Lake City XM118 7.62 MM Match ammunition - Lot 12004 and the Headstamp is “LC 63 Match”

This Match ammunition is in the original military can with the lot number of LC 12004 marked on the can and the individual boxes and the can is marked “1964” but all the match boxes are marked with the year “1963”.

I have had this ammunition for more than 12 years given to me by a friend who had it in his family but did not want it. (He was not into shooting)

Can any of you folks please shed some light on the history of this ammo?

Thoughts?
NathanHale

According to an article by the late Ray Meketa in IAA Journal 471 of 2010, Lake City and Frankford Arsenal in 1963 started production of a Match cartridge for the new M14 rifle, designated XM118, which became the M118.
Lot numbering starts anew with each model. I think this is the 4th lot ever made by Lake City of this ammunition, assuming that the lot number block assigned to Lake City starts with 12001.

Nathan,

Very nice ammo can and contents. The “X” in XM118 indicates this particular model of cartridge was still in developmental status. Here are a couple of links to previous discussions that add to what JP already mentioned in his post above.

Brian

Hey guys thank you for the rapid response to me finding out just what this can of Match ammo is all about. I do have a question, Is this ammo common or collectable?
I was tempted one year to shoot it up but after reading that it may have been made for the Camp Perry Matches in 64", well I figured that maybe a full, original can of early , as you say, “experimental” LC match ammunition might have some historical value.

Thoughts?
Nathan

Yes, it would be considered collectible and, thus, more valuable that new production ammunition of the same caliber and characteristics. My suggestion is that you don’t shoot it.