1st ammunition museum in the world?

It will be opened on 13th of May in Northern Germany:

munitionsmuseum.de/

(I hope the site will come in English also after some time)

[quote=“EOD”]It will be opened on 13th of May in Northern Germany:

munitionsmuseum.de/

(I hope the site will come in English also after some time)[/quote]

Hi Alex,

I think it will stay far behing the museum of Bill W.
(at least for military ammo up to 37 mm, and, what the people often don’t know, for military shotshells, flares, police shotshells and so on; because Bill says he doesn’t collect shotshells but in fact he is collecting all shotshells except the ones loaded with small shot !!).

I am sure you know Bill W., aren’t you ??

jp

This sounds interesting and I wish I could visit it when it opens. It will probably be something to see. I doubt any collection of ammunition could match the Woodin collection overall, although there are more specialized collections, like that of Lew Curtis, Pepper, etc. that in their own right are fabulous. Of course, a formal museum can generally beat a private collection for “presentation,” as the private collector’s needs and motives are different than that of a museum.

However, one of the first museums, I beliieve (I have never seen it) is the collection of the Argentine Association of Arms and Ammunition collectors, in Buenos Aires. They have a “club collection” which I think is kept at their headquarters, and is available for viewing to anyone with a bona fide interest in ammunition. I hope I am right, but that is what i have gathered from conversations with members of the Argentine Group. It has been many years since I discussed the club collection with them.

Perhaps some Argentine member of the Forum can fill us in on its current status, if any, so that people who might visit Buenos Aires will know about it.

John Moss

Jean-Pierre,
Sure I know Bill but is his collection open to the public? I was not aware of.

The museum mentioned above will display all kinds of ammunition, it is not gonna be a cartridge museum only!
If things go well even ECRA meetings may be held there (as now on the first 2 days of the opening - guess it will be small since we just had the annual meeting last weekend).

John, come and visit and be my guest!

Alex, may I come too? I’ve never been to Germany, but I read a lot about that area, there was a lot of fighting around Stettin, the soil still keeps the memories.

Vlad, sure you can, you just have to be willing to share your room with John.

Stettin is under Polish administration today. When you go south to Berlin and the Oder river east or south of Berlin (Halbe area) you will walk through areas where 40,000 fallen sodiers are suspected to be still in their last foxhole.

[quote=“EOD”]Jean-Pierre,
Sure I know Bill but is his collection open to the public? I was not aware of.

The museum mentioned above will display all kinds of ammunition, it is not gonna be a cartridge museum only!
If things go well even ECRA meetings may be held there (as now on the first 2 days of the opening - guess it will be small since we just had the annual meeting last weekend).

John, come and visit and be my guest![/quote]

EOD!!!

If somebody invite John… its me.

Dutch

Dutch, Get back into the line! :)

I am flattered gentlemen. I wish I could come, but it is very short notice, and with an injured knee, I will not be going anywhere for some time, I think. However, I applaud our friends in the German Language Group of ECRA and those that perhaps don’t belong to ECRA as well, and I wish Armin the best of luck and success with the museum in Germany. I know it will be a credit to our hobby.

Damn, that party sounds good on his website. I hope as many will go as possible, and that you will all drink lots of beer and eat a lot of those great German sausages.

I hope someone will take pictures there, so that we can all get a better idea of the Museum, as well as see what we missed at the party in the opening days of the facility. Dutch and EOD - have a beer for me!

By the way EOD, the Laboratory in Tucson, Bill’s Collection, while not open to the public in the sense of just anyone in Tucson going to it, it is open almost anytime Bill is there to any bona fide collector or student of ammunition, and I can insure you that you would receive a warm welcome. If you ever contemplate a visit there, let me know in advance, and if my health has improved, perhaps I could be there too.

John Moss

John, I am aware that it is short notice and figured that it might be unlikely for most people from abroad to attend. Please keep in mind that future ECRA meetings there will be still a great event also and not less of a party - somethig that might be planned I think. By then your knee will be almost like new I hope.

Yes, I know Bill will receive my visit since he invited me before. It will be an even better event if you could join us then.

I shall take plenty of photos there and post them here once all is over.

That is awesome! Post GOBS of pics if you can. I wonder if they will display torpedo stuff :-)

On a separate note, isn’t there a dedicated ammunition museum somewhere in the UK called EXPLOSIONS? I think Slickrick posted pics? There is also a awesome ammunition museum in the US. I forgot its name but will hunt it down. I am not positive but they may be dedicated to displaying naval ammunition only? I have never been to these unfortunately.

J
PS: Really fired-up to see the pictures you take when it opens.

Ok, here the location from the sky, you can zoom in and out:

maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&ie=UTF … _AarxYGwCA

Choose “EARTH” on the upper right to get the photo view.

tried to link the image directly, did not work…

ADD AMMO MUSEUMS TO WEBSITE-

Let’s add a list of ammo museums, or museums with significant attention to ammunition, to a page on the IAA website. If open by reservation only, please note that.

Post info here, name, location and link to website, or PM or email to me.

If I get five or more, I will make a page for the info.

The best I’ve ever been to: explosion.org.uk/

At least in the “ammo” department. If you don’t care for anything larger than Cal. 50, then I wouldn’t click on the link.

I was sent a bunch of pictures of this ordnance museum (HAWTHORN ORDNANCE MUSEUM). Totally amazing collection! Here is a link to there web site.

Jason

hawthorneordnancemuseum.com/

Here is another museum that I have seen pictures of that has large collection of ammunition on display. It is called the Imperial War Museum in the UK. There web site is;

iwm.org.uk/

Jason

The Explosion museum isn’t just ammunition. It is a Naval ordnance museum, so they also have the guns there. You really should try and make it over here to see it sometime Jason. There is a whole room full of sectioned torpedoes there.

I would die to check it out, Falcon! One day I hope.

Rick sent me some amazing pictures of there torpedo display. OFF THE CHARTS INCREDIBLE!

Jason

Considering that, for display purposes, SAA doesn’t have the pizazz of the bigger stuff, an online museum would be superior if some “all angle” and close up photos of the rounds were part and parcel of the show. Walking thru a museum of SAA with all the DO NOT TOUCH rules wouldn’t be very exciting. I mean, really. Shotshells would be better, if only for the color in it.( That’s for you, Chief :-)
The UK and EU have some of the best topical museums available to the public. I was very lucky in getting to see a wide variety of these places. I was going to post a few pics of the EXPLOSION Museum, but decided on this item of interest and history instead.

Here’s the periscope from the HMS Conquerer, which was the RN submarine that sank the ARA General Belgrano, an Argentine cruiser, during the Falklands War. Available for viewing at the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth, or thereabouts.

Pretty cool.

OK!!! Here’s a pic of the Explosion Museum:

If nothing else, they have the VERY BEST signage. Exept for maybe the IWM, what with the big guns thing going on: