1st Collector grade box

I picked up my first Collector grade box of ammo… usually just pay cheap for the boxes to have around, but picked up 6 boxes for $30 and this was one of them… mint condition…
Got home and wrapped it in Saran cling wrap… what should I use? I didn’t do a great job of wrapping…

That looks like a fine job. I just use Saran and tape. Use just enough wrap to cover the gaps, use quality tape that stays tight and won’t discolor, pull the ends tight.

Bomar97–Just a couple of suggestions Instead of Saran Wrap, you might want to try a heavier plastic. Some thick Mylar works best for me. Cut six panels (or fold if not to heavy) and seal the edges with Scotch Magic Tape, not cheap tape. The Mylar can be purchased at Office supply stores as document protector pages.

The heavier plastic will protect the corners of the box better if accidentally dropped.

A couple more suggestions concerning posting pictures on the Forum. Try to set your scanner, if possible, for a sheet size closer to the size of the item rather than use full Letter size scan. I find for most single boxes or a few cartridges, Landscape (Horizontal) or Portrait (Vertical) Post Card setting works well. If you can’t change the scan page size, try to crop the image to a smaller size in a Photoshop type program.

Thanks… I actually tried to paste the back of the box onto this photo, but the pic came out all scrunched when I did a copy and paste of the back. So I just gave up…
I did use the Scotch magic tape. I guess I didn’t pull tight enough and I even though I cut it short, the edges have a lot of excess… I’ll check on the heavier plastic when I’m in town… nothing in the house.
I never thought I would ever have a box in good enough shape to warrant being wrapped!
I’m bad with my collection in that I like to open the boxes and look inside sometimes… I didn’t dare do that to this box!

Bomar97–In general, without the use of specialized software, it is not possible to add a .JPG to another .JPG. Just use two images. If you do want it all in one image you can print both images, cut them out and then paste on another piece of paper then rescan, But each new scan of a scan will degrade the image somewhat.

Thanks… I have a photo software I was using, but guess it can’t do what I wanted…

On some software packages the instruction is “merge” to put two images together on one “photo”.

gravelbelly

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Bomar97–Just a couple of suggestions Instead of Saran Wrap, you might want to try a heavier plastic. Some thick Mylar works best for me. Cut six panels (or fold if not to heavy) and seal the edges with Scotch Magic Tape, not cheap tape. The Mylar can be purchased at Office supply stores as document protector pages.

The heavier plastic will protect the corners of the box better if accidentally dropped.

A couple more suggestions concerning posting pictures on the Forum. Try to set your scanner, if possible, for a sheet size closer to the size of the item rather than use full Letter size scan. I find for most single boxes or a few cartridges, Landscape (Horizontal) or Portrait (Vertical) Post Card setting works well. If you can’t change the scan page size, try to crop the image to a smaller size in a Photoshop type program.[/quote]

On my Epson scanner it does a preview scan, then I can designate an area using the PC mouse, do a cropped preview and then, if it looks OK, hit the scan button. By scanning only the area you want, instead of the whole bed, it is faster and usually gives better colour, brightness etc.

gravelbelly

Bomar…I use Sam’s Club (Walmart) plastic wrap…it is the only one I have found that can be pulled tight and not have any wrinkles…and, it “tightens up” upon itself after wrapping, so the end result is a “glass-smooth” surface. Use clear 2" mailing tape. I wrap my boxes on a glass surfaced table. I cut a piece of plastic wrap to the right size, and the wrap will “stick” to the glass. I put the box in the center of the wrap, and “fold” the box side over side, keeping the wrap tight around the box. As you lay the box down, to where the wrap contacts itself, the wrap sticks to itself more than the glass, and, voila, now all you have to do is fold the wrap on the box ends like a Christmas present and tape. I have over 200 different .30-40 Krag boxes and all are wrapped in this fashion. Hope this helps !!..Randy

From many years of collecting and looking at collections, sealing boxes completely will ruin the box. Boxes must breath (have moisture). A completely sealed box with time, the moisture will bake out of the box and it will become brittel. A few small holes made with a paper punch to allow air inside the wrapping will solve this problem. A number of years ago I bought an old collection that had been wrapped for over 25 years. When unwrapped the boxes were like thin peanut brittle. Touching the box caused pieces to break off.[/b]

Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes, I did worry also about leaving the box sealed to the extent of no air at all… All the boxes I have, except this one, are in the open and obviously were just stored around someone’s house for the years they’ve been around…