20 - 37 mm aluminium shells

Hi, I’m looking for information about the use of projectiles with aluminium shell.
For example: German 2 cm pzgr [copper driving band], or Polish 37 mm (copper driving bands and small elements of fuze standard - brass). So only changed a same steel shell to alu. shell.

It’s only for a short range during test? I found one info - trial ammunition [test]…

PM

Can you show us some photos please. It is too difficult to judge when not exactly seeing what is being talked about.

I have only one photo of this 37:
Beznazwy-1

I would assume that this Polish projectile here is experimental.
Not related to German AP designs (and others after 1945).

German 20mm WW2 aluminum “M” projectiles were all for practice purposes (inert and with very small spotting charges) and though adopted were only little used and made. And so far no real reason was found as for why they were made at all since it was a waste of resources.

Perhaps made for short range firings, having less mass?

PL projectile 37mm Bofors type is in one documents as “trial/test” in DE language maybe good is word “Probe” / in PL - próbna, in section with elements of 37mm Bofors / 37x257R - shell duraluminium of projectile 37 mm - probably AP.

I never seen this Bofors type. Only this 37 wz.16 for 37x94r.

In 2cm German types, i seen photos of shells from one versuchplatz in Germany. Maybe i found a photos soon, standard shape from a 2 cm pzgr but aluminium body + copper ring.
I have in collection a 3 cm German probably experimental, alu. shell but with steel core. In very bad condition, from “kam”. I not found in books this type.

Yes, less mass, short range.
I will soon find a solution, but I’m impatient and I’m asking on the forum : )

The depicted one here is not for the Bofors AT gun. The one here is along the Hotchkiss design.

German AP with aluminum body with tungsten carbide cores (20mm and 30mm) are a different thing and not related here at all.
The German 20mm “M” were adopted and the pointed solid aluminum projs. were ballistic tests (various types do exist).

Looking at the time (1930s) and the used material I think short range aluminum ammo in Poland would be very unlikely.
Untill primary source docs will show up I tend to believe it to be experimental only.

language barrier : ) i updated a text in info:

PL projectile 37mm Bofors type is in one document [from factory “Pocisk” from 1936] as “trial/test”, section of document with elements of 37mm Bofors / 37x257R - shell duraluminium of projectile 37 mm - probably AP. - i never seen this projectile in real.

I know only this “aluminium” 37 mm wz.=wzór/model 1916 [original FR/produced in PL] from 1932, for 37x94r. << from my photo = hotchkiss/puteaux = 37x94r

Yea i know, im not interested in this.

Alum. shells - 37 Bofors type [this moment only info a “test” projectile [not for standard for army production], and 37 mm Puteaux/Hotchkis [photo] probably are not a standard production ammo for army [but have a standard markings]
i think for “Ballistic Research Center” in Zielonka

I compared only the types of aluminum projectiles from different countries [for a comparision a test types ammo]

I make a tommorow photo of this 30 mm German alu/steel projectile [ but its a different topic].

Przemek, I think we both are on the exact same line here. So no langauge barrier for us.

Though interesting to see Poland was experimenting with aluminum body projectiles!
Thank you for the image btw!

On the photo German 30 mm proj., alu body (L ~94 mm) + steel core with tracer hole dia 7 mm / depth 15 mm.

In the subject, but of small-caliber/ with alu. elements:
Project from 1929 by P. Wilniewczyc / non-threaded barrel. Ammo based on 7,92x57 Sc / Ss, but weight 10 g as “S”.
Project of bullet - lead core + alum. in the back. And the same but with less alum. empty back.

And 1938 experimental 7.92 mm with shifted centers of gravity, with alum. plate inside lead core; lead core + paraffin in top jacket.
For eccentricity of the center of gravity, lead core with copper strip in one side of jacket.