20 x 102

here is an electric primed 20 x 102 ctge, no hstp
Nothing very exiting I think.
but the shape of the bullet looks (for me) strange.

what do you think?
jp

Projectile is a self made substitute.

The case is a regular 20x102, since almost all are un-head stamped the manufacturer is basically not to be identified.

[quote=“EOD”]Projectile is a self made substitute.

The case is a regular 20x102, since almost all are un-head stamped the manufacturer is basically not to be identified.[/quote]

self made substitute ???
what do you mean ? somebody has made the bullet in his garage ???
jp

If he has a lathe in his garage yes.

No, it is not made with a lathe
it looks like an original bullet.
JP

Jean Pierre, well originals are also made on lathes no?

Alex,
Common bullets in 9 para (or 32 acp and so on) are not made with a lathe but by pressing a metal jacket and a lead core in a dye.

This bullet is made following the same process.

I am positive about the fact this bullet has not been machined (lathe, grinding machine and even electro erosion).

The shape of the bullet looks strange for a 20 x 102.

Perhaps it is coming from another kind of 20 mm.
What do you think ??

JP

I think it is from a lathe still. It just got polished afterwards. Also I have never seen a “FMJ” in 20mm made in the way a regular small arms projectile was made.
I been collecting medium calibers for more than 20 years (but stopped) and have seen plenty of such desktop ornaments.

[quote=“EOD”]I think it is from a lathe still. It just got polished afterwards. Also I have never seen a “FMJ” in 20mm made in the way a regular small arms projectile was made.
I been collecting medium calibers for more than 20 years (but stopped) and have seen plenty of such desktop ornaments.[/quote]

alex; I don’t understand
For example a 25 mm armor piercing bullet is made on a lathe ???
Because there is a jacket and a core
As soon as you have a core it is not made with a lathe , isn’t it ??
jp

You think this is made on a lathe???

jp

I meant lead core projectiles. I knew you would bring up this one.

The 25mm Hotchkiss is a design of the 1930’s and this production technique for medium calibers was outdated then already (IMHO). The 20x102 came roughly more than 20 years later.

Also the 20x102 never had any FMJ projectiles (or I should say I have never seen any and doubt they would exist).
Just measure the diameter of your projectile and post it here. We will find it not to fit the 20x102 in terms of land and groove diameter.

Beleive me there is a 99.9% chance for this being self made (have seen plenty of such) and about 0.1% for this being original (seen only 1 so far which was an experimental 20mm with steel core dated in the 1930’s or max. pre 1945).

Just pull your projectile, you will find it to be solid colored metal and with a cylindrical base (maybe even of irregular shape where it got sawed off a stock bar - no necessity but also often encountered on such handycraft).

Alex, I will try to pull up the projectile but it will not be easy.
JP