20 x 138B Rheinmetall "Platzpatrone"

This is a blank loading used by the Argentine Navy and later by the Coast Guard. The cardboard container is filled with irregular dust shot with a diameter between 0,5 and 1 mm (0.019-0.039") and the total weight is 255.26 g. Note the undated headstamp with Rheinmetall-Borsig logo.

Fede, extremely interesting round!
Actually the German term is “Platzpatrone” as “Platzgranate” does not exist in German.

I’m not sure I understand why this would be considered a blank or a “Platzpatrone” if it has a cardboard container filled “with irregular dust shot”, but why is it considered a blank if it has projectiles. I know the typical Platzpatrone has a wooden bullet, which certainly could be considered a projectile if you were within range of it. But a shot load?
Thanks for any & all explanations.

& a very neat round.

Pete, its a break-up blank…still used today in germans 20x139 blanks. They use a plastic bullet-skin filled with iron-dust. It breaks up, from spinning, after it leaves the barrel. The paper-bullet hull in this case here filled with small lead will act, in a similar way. After leaving the barrel, the centriugal forces will bring the paperhull to burst shortly after coming out from the muzzle…with this “heavy” bullets there is no need for a muzzle attachment, to get automatic function, which you may need with the older wooden-blanks…
Happy collecting
Forensic

Correct, the wooden ones needed a special muzzle attachment. The ones with the lead shot inside were the early development which I guess became too expensive and had been replaced by the wooden projectile + muzzle attachment.
Oerlikon used the lead shot design as well.

Alex, you are right, I don’t know why I call it “Platzgranate”, there is no fuze inside! I edited the subject to avoid confusion and to help future searches. Thanks for the correction.

These rounds are not only scarce by nature but also because they are of very fragile construction.

Fede, those I had seen in various calibers were rather tough since they had to withstand the feeding stress.
May your’s be one which had been stressed severly or got wet or tampered with or the like before?
I assume that the attempt to remove it from the case will be the final doom for such a projectile.
Nevertheless, your round is awesome in itself and then it has that hs I have never seen before (have seen plenty).

Thank you gentlemen, I learn something new almost every time I look at this forum.