20mm identification

I got this 20mm cartridge, case length 119mm. Can somebody help me with information about it, I only heard it should be Schwiss.

This is a very rare 20 x 119 R Madsen experimental cartridge made in Switzerland by Patronenfabrik Solothurn and is also known with a 1928 date. During that same year the well known rimless design was adopted.

Fede

You are a wealth of information! I don’t think this Forum could survive without you. I, for one, really appreciate your efforts in answering some difficult questions.

Thanks!!

Ray

m89, you are very lucky as I knew only 2 of these cartridges so far, now they are 3.

I know of a single round here in Argentina and it belongs to a very old collection consisting 99% of ammunition bought by the Navy. Argentina used to be adept to Madsen calibers -not the Navy- and maybe it was tested here.

A great find!!!

This is the Madsen aircraft cannon Model 1926 prototype:

[quote=“Fede”]I know of a single round here in Argentina and it belongs to a very old collection consisting 99% of ammunition bought by the Navy. Argentina used to be adept to Madsen calibers -not the Navy- and maybe it was tested here.

A great find!!![/quote]

Then we are up to 4.

Thanks Fede and EOD - that’s great news. Do you have any reference to where, I can read about the cartridge or see a drawing?

I thought I would add a picture of my Madsen with the 28 head stamp. Sadly the projectile has been fired.

Next to it is another 20mm I can not identify. Case length is 145mm. The shell body is stamped:

?NMC
15168-8

The fuze is stamped:

No 253 I GCPMC

Any help much appreciated.

Buster

So we are up to 5 now and this is the first one I see with an unfired case and the hs of 1928. Thank your for sharing.

Your 20x145R is a Swedish M40 Bofors and the projectile was just stuffed in as it is a 20x110 HS from the UK (or US?).

Swedish 20mm as of 1977:

Soren

Thanks EOD and Mausernut.