20mm Projectiles ID New photo added

Are all the projectiles of the 20x102 type?

Thanks!
Steve

Yes, except for #5(L-R)

Nice variety, BTW.

Ok # 5 belongs to the 20x110 family I guess?

Yes. Sometimes referred to as the Hispano.

Thanks Rick!

Best referred to as the 20x110 Hispano.There are also the 20x110 Oerlikon and 20x110 MK100 (USN). And there’s the 20x139 Hispano…

I’m not familiar with that last projectile. I have something vaguely similar in 20x110 Hispano, but not with such a marked waist. Anyone have a designation for it?

Tony. IIRC, it’s the M54. A test projectile.

Numbers 1 & 2 have much narrower driving bands and are also longer, is this significant? The Colour of number 6 indicates experimental or test doesn’t it?

gravelbelly

I think you meant #1 and 3. These represent the “new generation” of 20x102 ammo, which due to their more aerodynamic shape have about 30% more range than the original M50-series (as represented by #2 and 4). They were introduced in the 1980s I believe, and are standard in US service.

[quote=“gravelbelly”]Numbers 1 & 2 have much narrower driving bands and are also longer, is this significant? The Colour of number 6 indicates experimental or test doesn’t it?

gravelbelly[/quote]

Narrower since the material the bands are comprising of is giving more resistance than brass or tombak and had to be adjusted in size to generate the same resistance when pressed into the rifling.

The purple does not have the same meaning on US ammunition as it has in the UK. The one here is the HPT projectile which for what ever reason got this distinctive paint job, so far the only one I recall on US ammunition. Maybe somebody else could elaborate somewhat on this.

There’s a 30x173 HPT for the GAU-8 that also has a purple projectile:

Here are a couple of the complete 20x102 HPT rounds, one with a purple projectile (M54A1) and one with a black projectile (M54E2):

If you guys have not checked out Chip’s site, I highly recommend that you do.

JMHO

Ray

twoaz, thanks a lot for the update on the 30mm!
Great images/collection you have there.

What a great web site! Thanks Ray!

Flip side of those projectiles.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]If you guys have not checked out Chip’s site, I highly recommend that you do.

JMHO

Ray[/quote]

I do not know Chip but I am impressed with the quality of the site. That is excellent work.

Well, Someone has to ask, so it might as well be me. Who is Chip and where can I find his website? Apologies to you Chip if I do know you!

gravelbelly

Chip Orr | cartrology.com | IAA and ECRA member

I don’t think we’ve ever met gravelbelly (I’m in Tucson AZ) - no apologies needed! Thanks for the kind words about the site everyone. While I don’t have any super rare items in my collection, I figured it would be better to put it out there rather that have it sitting in ammo cans in the back of the closet!

OK Chip, I have had a look at your website and very nice it is too, thanks for making this superb information available to us all.

gravelbelly